Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings DE Tashawn Bower isn't playing like an undrafted free agent
Quote: @Ponifan said:
The coaches like the progress that Weatherly has made, even if fans haven't seen it.  I think he gets the nod over Bower for the last DE spot, he is bigger and faster.  The Vikings will likely release a player to keep Bower on the active roster until all other teams have their roster and PS set, then they will slide Bower to the PS and re-sign the player they released.  That way, another team will have to think twice before poaching Bower off the PS to their active roster.
I know its done,  but really,  if another team likes Bower enough to sign him before their PS is set,  whats to keep them from releasing a PS player to sign Bower to their own PS or even to cut a weaker DE of their own to sign him to their roster?  The point to all of this is  that the kid is flashing at a position that is hard to flash at considering who his competition is on our team.  Bower is likely not better than Hunter was at this point in their careers or maybe not even that close, but the ceiling looks pretty high from what weve seen so far.  

I would much rather keep 5 DEs and have them all be starter material than keep a 6th LB that will never likely be more than a deep reserve/ST player.  if we ever get to the point of needing that 6th LB,  we are likely screwed anyway so we could go grab a street FA or another teams PS LB and be just about as good.   Keep the good football players with potential and move on from keeping guys just because they fill preconceived notion of needing X of a certain position.

Hell push comes to shove we could likely stand up a guy like Hunter or Bower,  or play a heavy nickle with an extra safety and be better than that 6th LB.

Long way to go this preseason... but weve got to yammer about something right?

Looking good in camp and in a preseason game is not the same as looking good against the holdmaster line in Green Bay or against playoff competition.

So far, the news is good, but it is still way too early to give Bower a roster spot.

Quote: @Minniman said:
Looking good in camp and in a preseason game is not the same as looking good against the holdmaster line in Green Bay or against playoff competition.

So far, the news is good, but it is still way too early to give Bower a roster spot.
welcome to the board,  glad to have you posting.

nobody is saying to lock him into a roster spot,  just that if he were to continue to shine that it would be better to carry 5 DEs than to risk losing him to another team in order to carry a 6th LB who is likely to not really amount to more than a ST player.  We could have this conversation about any position that has great depth but a cloudy future in terms of players under contract.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Minniman said:

nobody is saying to lock him into a roster spot,  just that if he were to continue to shine that it would be better to carry 5 DEs than to risk losing him to another team in order to carry a 6th LB who is likely to not really amount to more than a ST player.  We could have this conversation about any position that has great depth but a cloudy future in terms of players under contract.

I get it, but don't undervalue special teams starters, or I will be forced to bring Bud Grant in here and clear the air.

If Bower keeps it up, he will earn his way onto the team. That stated, the Vikings will likely use their last cut on a player they will later need to fill in for an injury.

That is the Viking way. :/

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Ponifan said:
The coaches like the progress that Weatherly has made, even if fans haven't seen it.  I think he gets the nod over Bower for the last DE spot, he is bigger and faster.  The Vikings will likely release a player to keep Bower on the active roster until all other teams have their roster and PS set, then they will slide Bower to the PS and re-sign the player they released.  That way, another team will have to think twice before poaching Bower off the PS to their active roster.
I know its done,  but really,  if another team likes Bower enough to sign him before their PS is set,  whats to keep them from releasing a PS player to sign Bower to their own PS or even to cut a weaker DE of their own to sign him to their roster?
My understanding is that once a player is on your PS he can only be signed onto another team's active roster, not just put on their PS. As far as clearing waivers, I think it works the same way. If another team wants him on their roster, nothing we can do, but nobody gets to put him on a PS before we get the chance, since we signed him as an UDFA.

I think that's the way it works anyway.

Quote: @NoGoingBack said:
My understanding is that once a player is on your PS he can only be signed onto another team's active roster, not just put on their PS. As far as clearing waivers, I think it works the same way. If another team wants him on their roster, nothing we can do, but nobody gets to put him on a PS before we get the chance, since we signed him as an UDFA.

I think after a player is cut, he is free to sign anywhere.  Active roster, practice squad, any team.  But when on a PS, he must be signed to the active roster, not another PS.

Quote: @greediron said:
@NoGoingBack said:

I think after a player is cut, he is free to sign anywhere.  Active roster, practice squad, any team.  But when on a PS, he must be signed to the active roster, not another PS.
This is my understanding as well.  Once we waive him we have no rights over him.

Yeah, I was wrong. Figured we had some rights to him but nope.

But I figure he's more likely to sign to our PS than anybody else's assuming we want him. Obviously if he gets a chance to make a roster he's going to take it, but why not go with the PS you know, and the coaches you've been working with, as opposed to some other random PS?

Quote: @NoGoingBack said:
Yeah, I was wrong. Figured we had some rights to him but nope.

But I figure he's more likely to sign to our PS than anybody else's assuming we want him. Obviously if he gets a chance to make a roster he's going to take it, but why not go with the PS you know, and the coaches you've been working with, as opposed to some other random PS?
Ability to get on the field and show your wares..  Here he is a #5 DE with 2 young guys ahead of him and a vet with a new contract.  On another team he might be a 3rd or 4th DE and be getting himself into position for a bigger payday in a couple years.