Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Fair Pay to Play act

I guess a college scholarship isn't enough anymore. No more of those wonderful moments when athletes learn their Education is free....once again it's all about the Benjamin's.  

Ive lived far too long.

Reportedly minnys Gov is very interested in m getting this through in his state as well.  So if they can get sponsorship money,  how is this not going to just turn onto paying them to play,  just like pro sports where the richest get the players?  Does anybody think this will be good for the competitiveness of the sport or ultimately the players aside from the cash aspect?

Well, it will certainly tip the scale to states that allow college athletes to be paid.  I'm sure all states will eventually follow suit. I guess it's one way to try and encourage top recruits & buy a championship.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Well, it will certainly tip the scale to states that allow college athletes to be paid.  I'm sure all states will eventually follow suit. I guess it's one way to try and encourage top recruits & buy a championship.

Hopefully it will once and for all end the myth of the "student athlete".  This is not to disparage all the kids who work their butts off to be academically and athletically excellent, but how anybody believes top football and basketball programs are nothing more than minor leagues for the NFL and NBA is beyond me.  

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA fights this.  They have drug their feet on this issue.  Maybe we'll get real reform now.

The negatives on this plan are going to far outweigh the positives. The only positive is the players will be getting some of the money that the University earned off of them. In reality though how many players are going to profit from this, very few. A few players from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and a few other schools will have a player or two whos likeness and name may be used but its only the super stars (that will be drafted and make millions by the way) that this will benefit.  Who is the last player at the U of Minn that had their likeness or name used ?  Marian Barber maybe ? Which makes it totally unfair to the rest of the team that is putting in the same work.  The recruiting battle also just took a turn.  If the super star 5 star players know they will get paid in california where do you think the top recruits will lean too. Now your going to take the super star that in a lot of cases doesnt put much effort into school because they know they will be making millions in the NFL and only need to get by until draft day and your going to pay them on top of everything else. If they want to do this right, then pay every player.  Its understandable that between the practice, the traveling, the games and the school work there isnt any time left for guys to work and make some spending money.  So why not pay every player a little money not just the super stars. 

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
The negatives on this plan are going to far outweigh the positives. The only positive is the players will be getting some of the money that the University earned off of them. In reality though how many players are going to profit from this, very few. A few players from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and a few other schools will have a player or two whos likeness and name may be used but its only the super stars (that will be drafted and make millions by the way) that this will benefit.  Who is the last player at the U of Minn that had their likeness or name used ?  Marian Barber maybe ? Which makes it totally unfair to the rest of the team that is putting in the same work.  The recruiting battle also just took a turn.  If the super star 5 star players know they will get paid in california where do you think the top recruits will lean too. Now your going to take the super star that in a lot of cases doesnt put much effort into school because they know they will be making millions in the NFL and only need to get by until draft day and your going to pay them on top of everything else. If they want to do this right, then pay every player.  Its understandable that between the practice, the traveling, the games and the school work there isnt any time left for guys to work and make some spending money.  So why not pay every player a little money not just the super stars. 

Excellent points.  This is why states should not be leading on this issue....it needs to come from the NCAA at a national level.  Maybe this was CA's intent all along.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Reportedly minnys Gov is very interested in m getting this through in his state as well.  So if they can get sponsorship money,  how is this not going to just turn onto paying them to play,  just like pro sports where the richest get the players?  Does anybody think this will be good for the competitiveness of the sport or ultimately the players aside from the cash aspect?
I think that the end result is that no one will be using these players' likeness anymore.  No big deal- except that those players will be even more anonymous than before.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@Vanguard83 said:

Hopefully it will once and for all end the myth of the "student athlete".  This is not to disparage all the kids who work their butts off to be academically and athletically excellent, but how anybody believes top football and basketball programs are nothing more than minor leagues for the NFL and NBA is beyond me.  

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA fights this.  They have drug their feet on this issue.  Maybe we'll get real reform now.

Athletic directors and Coaches making millions doesn't jive with the "it's for the kids" motto.

NCAA has been pimping college athletes since the 90's.  

Fast forward to today, with the amount of dollars involved, the NCAA is due for some changes.

Boosters will use this loophole to get recruits to their schools.  Big Tom's Ford down in Tallahassee will be be sponsored be who ever the program tells him is the next big name on their recruitment list.