Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOF Happenings for Hopefuls...
Help might be on the way for some aging Vikings greats still hoping for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Defensive end Jim Marshall, running back Chuck Foreman and guard Ed White, each waiting decades for possible induction into the Canton, Ohio, shrine, could see their chances increase Friday.
As part of the 100-year celebration of the NFL, the Hall of Fame’s board of trustees will vote on a proposal that could increase the 2020 class to 20, 12 more than the usual, and include 10 senior candidates.
That would be eight more senior candidates than previously expected.
“It’ll get approved,’’ predicted Rick Gosselin, a longtime member of the senior selection committee.
That would be good news for Marshall, Foreman and White. Gosselin said he has a list of about 80 senior candidates he believes should be discussed, and all three are on it.
“It should help my chances,” said Foreman, who made five Pro Bowls while with the Vikings from 1973-79 before closing out his career with one year in New England.
Gosselin believes Marshall has the best chance because he has been a Hall of Fame finalist, while Foreman and White never have. Marshall was a modern-era finalist in 2004 shortly before he became eligible for senior consideration.
Candidates are classified as seniors 25 years after retirement. After a year with Cleveland, Marshall, 81, played with the Vikings from 1961-79.
“I don’t have any comments about the hall of fame,” Marshall said this week. “I want to stay out of this as much as I can.”
But White, who played for the Vikings from 1969-77 and with San Diego from 1978-85, had plenty to say about Marshall.
“I would definitely be excited (to make it), but Jim Marshall in my mind should have been in there a long time ago,” he said. “I’m not sure I’d feel good about going in before or without Jim Marshall, but I’m hoping that Jim gets in and if things work out and Chuck and I can tag along.”
Gosselin, who was a longtime writer for the Dallas Morning News, said it’s unlikely two seniors who primarily played with the same franchise would be selected. Competition, he said, will be stiff. “There are 26 established NFL franchises, and every franchise believes it has three or more players worthy for the hall of fame,” he said.
https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/30/ne...gs-greats/

I loved all 3 of these guys back in the day. Ed White, one of the strongest men in the League. Time isn't on his side after being diagnosed with Alzheimers related Dementia.