Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mahomes with a long throw

I bet Joe Namath / Bret Favre / even Jeff George could have done better back in their hay days!  B)

Quote: @"NorthernCalVike" said:
I bet Joe Namath / Bret Favre / even Jeff George could have done better back in their hay days!  B)
I've been to a lot of NFL games in my life, but I've never seen live a faster football thrown or bigger arm than Jeff George. Unreal.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"NorthernCalVike" said:
I've been to a lot of NFL games in my life, but I've never seen live a faster football thrown or bigger arm than Jeff George. Unreal.
George threw a hell of a ball, so did Warren Moon and Pepp too.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"NorthernCalVike" said:

Do you think George's mental game was his down fall? Or just the fact that he had an amazing arm, but just did not have the accuracy needed to succeed at the Pro level? He's always been one of those guys who I thought "He just doesn't get it" at the Pro level.

Not sure the average person knows just how difficult that throw is. Very impressive.

They say the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a MLB fast ball. Maybe, but a very close 2nd has to be what an NFL QB does a hundred times a game-- the ability to call out the protection, read the coverage, determine, for example, that because it's cover 3, you know that the Z receiver is going to run a much skinnier post than if it were a cover 2, and your X is going to cut the break on his out 3 yards shorter, and your slot is going to COMPLETELY change his route based on man or zone, determined at the line of scrimmage by how tight the defender plays him. He's up tight, but you know it's a disguise based on where the safeties are. But does the slot know it's a disguise? Because if your receivers don't recognize the exact same things as you, you're probably going to throw a pick and fans will mock your wife on twitter. And you do all of this in the time it takes to walk from the huddle to the line of scrimmage. Oh...that DB on the slot just moved back. Good, you knew he would. But can you trust the rookie slot to know this? And who's that angry man barking like a dog at you from across the line of scrimmage? Wait...what's the snap count? 

Quote: @"NorthernCalVike" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"NorthernCalVike" said:

Do you think George's mental game was his down fall? Or just the fact that he had an amazing arm, but just did not have the accuracy needed to succeed at the Pro level? He's always been one of those guys who I thought "He just doesn't get it" at the Pro level.

George was a legend in his own mind and didn't really believe he needed coaches telling him how to play the game.  He was confrontational with every head coach and offensive coordinator he ran across and rarely followed the game plan.  George was intelligent, athletic and had a really strong arm, but had no humility or common sense to speak of.  Basically he acted like an ass.

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
@"NorthernCalVike" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"NorthernCalVike" said:

George was a legend in his own mind and didn't really believe he needed coaches telling him how to play the game.  He was confrontational with every head coach and offensive coordinator he ran across and rarely followed the game plan.  George was intelligent, athletic and had a really strong arm, but had no humility or common sense to speak of.  Basically he acted like an ass.

That was no act.

Actually proves what ???  Jamarcus Russell threw a ball 65 yards from his knees, didnt make him a good QB.  Mahomes just did what quite a few others could do.

It is hard to excel at a team sport when you are an asshole like JG.  I loved watching him play though. 

I would add hitting a golf ball accurately consistently at the pro level is kind of hard too.