Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Persecution
Quote: @savannahskol said:
@StickyBun said:
The major tenet of Christianity or those that believe that Jesus is the son of God is the death and resurrection of Jesus. This is the foundation. This is what inspired/inspires those toward Christianity. Its a big leap of faith-based theory.
Nothing gets by you, Sticky.  Smile 

lol, master of the obvious!  Wink  You can't get that kind of insight just anywhere. 

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@Zanary said:

Frankly, I'm more impressed by people that choose to be good, caring, charitable humans WITHOUT a theoretical afterlife gun pointed at their heads.

Hmmm....
I'm most impressed by people  that choose to be good, caring, charitable humans WITHOUT ever "announcing" such.  Christian or atheist. 
Because when they announce their charity, it ceases to be charity.  

Quote: @Zanary said:
Really, deeply glad that I left that s**tshow.
Feel sad for you, as I think you're a thoughtful guy.  
I've had nothing but phenomenal experiences in organized religion (churches).  
Ya need to move to the south.  Smile  
Can't, I don't hate women, gays, or the Constitution enough.

@savannahskol said:
@Zanary said:

Frankly, I'm more impressed by people that choose to be good, caring, charitable humans WITHOUT a theoretical afterlife gun pointed at their heads.

Hmmm....
I'm most impressed by people  that choose to be good, caring, charitable humans WITHOUT ever "announcing" such.  Christian or atheist. 
Because when they announce their charity, it ceases to be charity.  

Really, deeply glad that I left that s**tshow.
Feel sad for you, as I think you're a thoughtful guy.  
I've had nothing but phenomenal experiences in organized religion (churches).  
Ya need to move to the south.  Smile  
Keep in mind that not all Christians are of the conservative evangelical type. In fact, that brand of Christianity represents very few among Christians worldwide. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Keep in mind that not all Christians are of the conservative evangelical type. In fact, that brand of Christianity represents very few among Christians worldwide. 
Outside of Fred Phelps' cult, I don't know of any Christians that hate women or the Constitution.  Those are just the kinds of things that people say when they don't agree.  It's be like me saying that someone hated Jesus just because they don't believe/follow what He said.  It would be a gross over-simplification... and intellectually dishonest.

Sadly, I DO know of some "Christians" that "hate" gays... and they are wrong (according to the Bible) for doing it.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@MaroonBells said:
Outside of Fred Phelps' cult, I don't know of any Christians that hate women or the Constitution.  Those are just the kinds of things that people say when they don't agree.  It's be like me saying that someone hated Jesus just because they don't believe/follow what He said.  It would be a gross over-simplification... and intellectually dishonest.

Sadly, I DO know of some "Christians" that "hate" gays... and they are wrong (according to the Bible) for doing it.
Zanary was extreme in using the word "hate," but you know as well as I do that many conservative evangelicals think that women are supposed to be submissive and obedient to men. Biblical literalism forces one to accept some pretty outdated and unseemly things. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pumpf said:
@MaroonBells said:

Zanary was extreme in using the word "hate," but you know as well as I do that many conservative evangelicals think that women are supposed to be submissive and obedient to men. Biblical literalism forces one to accept some pretty outdated and unseemly things. 

I don't think that being conservative "evangelicals" is what leads to neanderthal views towards women.  I'm pretty sure that there are men who have/want nothing to do with Christianity who mistreat women and consider them inferior.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pumpf said:
@MaroonBells said:

I don't think that being conservative "evangelicals" is what leads to neanderthal views towards women.  I'm pretty sure that there are men who have/want nothing to do with Christianity who mistreat women and consider them inferior.
That's not something I would argue with. Mistreating women is not a product of either Christianity, conservatism or atheism. It's the product of being an asshole.