Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 round Vikings Mock with a couple of trades
Let me hear it!

First round trade - Vikings send pick 18 and Trey Waynes to Indianapolis for Pick 26, 59 and 129.  Vikings get some additional ammo to move around in the draft and get the value guys they really need.  Indy is a playoff team and is a perfect fit for a cornerback needy team with plenty of cap space.

26th pick - Chris Lindstrom - I could see Bradbury here as well, but I think Lindstrom fits our style and needs more than any line prospect in the draft.  Not a flashy pick at guard, and I see limited upside with Lindstrom but he has a high floor, and that is what we need to plug into LG this year.  Bradbury and Lindstrom are probably the two biggest impact guys we can take to move into guard this year.

50th pick - Hakeem Butler - Freak target that could turn into a legitimate #1 WR.  Vikings can go 3 wide and create nightmare match ups all over the field.  Butler's has the size and speed to be a true X and would be an incredible combination with Thelien and Diggs, who both and slide inside to the slot when Butler is on the field.  Butler is the type of WR that will open things up for Diggs and Thelien pulling the safety away from either of them, or making teams pay for leaving him 1 on 1 with great speed and ability to win 1 on 1 contested catches down the field.  After we address the line, having a talent like Butler will allow Cousin's to destroy teams with the added time the line gives him.

59th pick - Tytus Howard - Not needed to start day 1, but can take a year to work on his technique and be a great back up option at RT.  2020 starting RT with O'Neil moving to LT.  Howard has the tools to be a 1st rounder he just needs to develop the techniques and great coaching at the NFL level can get him ready to be a starter in a year and a capable backup in 2019.

Trade - Vikings Send pick 81 and pick 120 to Arizona for pick 65

65th pick - Isaiah Johnson - Depth replacement for Waynes.  MacKenzie will be pushed to be CB2 opposite of Rhodes in the first few weeks of the season while Hughes gets to 100% and Hill is out, but Johnson has the talent to be groomed into a talented starting corner.  This is a big corner that could give us 2 almost identical corners on the outside with Rhodes and him.  Allows us to let Mac leave in free agency and Hughes move into the nickle role. 

96th pick - Dre-Mont Jones -  With all the DT's being taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds I see a guy like Jones sliding not due to talent or potential but solely due to depth in the draft. Jones is a quick and will be a find ways to penetrate.  He slides to the 3rd round because he is not a big DT, only 6'3" 280 and has good athletic ability but isn't elite.  His short area burst is what gets him drafted despite his size, I question his ability to hold up well against the run   

129th pick - Kahale Warring - Athletic tight end without much football experience.  Vikings after addressing many of the needs by this point can add a pass catching threat at the TE spot who will only get better and better with NFL coaching.

I'd like to see Bradbury over Lindstrom and move ELF over - improving two line spots.

I  think we need to get a tail-back that's legit back-up to Cook. 

I agree on the RB, but RB is so easy to fill late in the draft or with UDFAs.  I think a shotgun approach with RB with young guys is the way to go.  

Quote: @"Amazonviking" said:
Let me hear it!

First round trade - Vikings send pick 18 and Trey Waynes to Indianapolis for Pick 26, 59 and 129.  Vikings get some additional ammo to move around in the draft and get the value guys they really need.  Indy is a playoff team and is a perfect fit for a cornerback needy team with plenty of cap space.

26th pick - Chris Lindstrom - I could see Bradbury here as well, but I think Lindstrom fits our style and needs more than any line prospect in the draft.  Not a flashy pick at guard, and I see limited upside with Lindstrom but he has a high floor, and that is what we need to plug into LG this year.  Bradbury and Lindstrom are probably the two biggest impact guys we can take to move into guard this year.

50th pick - Hakeem Butler - Freak target that could turn into a legitimate #1 WR.  Vikings can go 3 wide and create nightmare match ups all over the field.  Butler's has the size and speed to be a true X and would be an incredible combination with Thelien and Diggs, who both and slide inside to the slot when Butler is on the field.  Butler is the type of WR that will open things up for Diggs and Thelien pulling the safety away from either of them, or making teams pay for leaving him 1 on 1 with great speed and ability to win 1 on 1 contested catches down the field.  After we address the line, having a talent like Butler will allow Cousin's to destroy teams with the added time the line gives him.

59th pick - Tytus Howard - Not needed to start day 1, but can take a year to work on his technique and be a great back up option at RT.  2020 starting RT with O'Neil moving to LT.  Howard has the tools to be a 1st rounder he just needs to develop the techniques and great coaching at the NFL level can get him ready to be a starter in a year and a capable backup in 2019.

Trade - Vikings Send pick 81 and pick 120 to Arizona for pick 65

65th pick - Isaiah Johnson - Depth replacement for Waynes.  MacKenzie will be pushed to be CB2 opposite of Rhodes in the first few weeks of the season while Hughes gets to 100% and Hill is out, but Johnson has the talent to be groomed into a talented starting corner.  This is a big corner that could give us 2 almost identical corners on the outside with Rhodes and him.  Allows us to let Mac leave in free agency and Hughes move into the nickle role. 

96th pick - Dre-Mont Jones -  With all the DT's being taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds I see a guy like Jones sliding not due to talent or potential but solely due to depth in the draft. Jones is a quick and will be a find ways to penetrate.  He slides to the 3rd round because he is not a big DT, only 6'3" 280 and has good athletic ability but isn't elite.  His short area burst is what gets him drafted despite his size, I question his ability to hold up well against the run   

129th pick - Kahale Warring - Athletic tight end without much football experience.  Vikings after addressing many of the needs by this point can add a pass catching threat at the TE spot who will only get better and better with NFL coaching.
Hakeem Butler is a total freak of nature. But he drops too many for my taste. I hate players whom you can't count on to catch the football. I think I read 16% drop rate? The rest of your draft would be pretty awesome. Howard at 59 is a steal, as is Jones at 96. 

The drop rate is concerning, but I think what he can bring to the table to clear space for Thelien and Diggs to work the intermediate routes is worth working on his drops.  He isn't Treadwell or Williamson, he can catch the ball, and can absolutely get separation.

This would be an excellent draft because it gives us 2 OL, a WR, and a pass-catching TE. I think it would be incredible to get Butler. His drop issues are due to concentration/focus lapses, and our current WRs will bring him up to par on that count.

My only disagreement is the Waynes trade. We would essentially be trading him for Isaiah Johnson, and we will have a huge hole there. I really believe Zimmer trains CBs - and he needs time to do so - with the intent to keep them.

I like it!  A lot.