Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Seahawks out of their minds?
They just signed him. Four year extension for $140 million with $107 guaranteed. There another QB who gets more than Cousins. That helps me when my old man complains about Cousin’s contract. But as Jimmy says, when are QB salaries going to hit their ceiling? Will Wilson want out if his deal further hurts Seattle’s ability to put together a full roster?

Quote: @SkolVikings44 said:
They just signed him. Four year extension for $140 million with $107 guaranteed. There another QB who gets more than Cousins. That helps me when my old man complains about Cousin’s contract. But as Jimmy says, when are QB salaries going to hit their ceiling? Will Wilson want out if his deal further hurts Seattle’s ability to put together a full roster?
I hope so...Same in GB.

But with the cap rising, I'm afraid that won't be the case as much as we'd like. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wilson gives them a midnight tonight deadline to extend his contract. And they're thinking about it?

Sure, his contract will be the highest ever (temporarily) and they can probably get 3 first rounders for him, and they may hope to get lucky with another 3rd rounder....but in my opinion Wilson is the most valuable QB in the NFL and they should just pay him. If they don't, this has to take Seattle out of contention for the near future. Good for Viking fans, but I have to wonder what their veterans think about that. 
of course depending on what his demands are... that might take them out of contention anyway.  at some point these owners need to say enough is enough with these QBs and their ridiculous contract demands that kill a teams ability to put quality around the QB.
You realize there's a salary cap right? And that each team's revenue is about 20 to 30 times its highest paid QB. I still can't get over the fact that people still complain about contracts as if it's real money. It's meaningless. A game. A percentage of a cap you're not allowed to go over. You want Boardwalk or Park Place you gotta pay for it. 
of course I know there is a cap,  thats the premise of my arguement against continuing to overpay 1 position.   what is your point?   as long as there is a cap in place over paying any 1 position is detrimental to team success and puts a greater emphasis on hitting on the draft picks (and that is a complete crap shoot)  for continued team success.  there are really only a small handful of QBs that elevate their teams and can carry an offense and overpaying for them an not being able to afford a quality OL puts the season in danger since the success of that year is hanging disproportionately on 1 player.

what the teams make vs the cap has zero bearing on this point,   i still cant get over the fact that everytime a fan brings up overpaying a player (in the salary cap era) that other people bring up the meaningless arguement regarding how much the teams make.  could the owners afford more... most likley,   but until the CBA changes to a higher % for the players then teams have to work under a cap and when the starting QB eat 15-20% of the cap... that puts a bind on the overall quality of the rest of the roster.

Well, he got paid...big time.

It's likely a good thing that most of the "legion" is gone, because they'd be howling mad over Wilson's contract.

Quote: @Zanary said:
Well, he got paid...big time.

It's likely a good thing that most of the "legion" is gone, because they'd be howling mad over Wilson's contract.
The legion is all gone, is it not?  Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor and whomever the 2nd CB was at the time.