Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why AT's contract extension does little harm to cap...
While the four-year extension Adam Thielen signed Monday puts plenty of cash in the Vikings wide receiver’s bank account this year — $14.3 million, to be exact — it also keeps the team’s salary cap situation in check.
Thielen’s cap hit is $8.105 million for 2019, only $5,000 more than the $8.1 million figure he was scheduled to carry this year on his old deal. In addition to a $9 million signing bonus, he gets a $4.3 million roster bonus this year, and a league-minimum $805,000 base salary.
Thielen’s four-year deal also includes a $5 million roster bonus if he is on the Vikings roster by the third day of the 2020 league year. The deal has a total of $33 million in guaranteed money, $14.1 million of which is guaranteed at signing.
His deal includes base salaries of $4.8 million in 2020, $11 million in 2021, $12.045 million in 2022, $13.05 million in 2023 and $14 million in 2024. Thielen’s 2020 base salary, as well as $9.095 million of his 2021 base, are guaranteed against injury now, and would become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster by the third day of each league year.
Thielen can earn per-game roster bonuses of up to $100,000 each of the next two years, and $500,000 in the final four years of the deal, as well as $100,000 annual workout bonuses. His incentive structure is similar to the one Stefon Diggs received last year, where Thielen can earn escalators totaling up to $9 million in the final three years of the deal, based on each time he hits 100 receptions or 1,375 yards in a season.
If the 28-year-old were to play out the entirety of his six-year deal and hit every incentive available to him, Thielen would earn $87.3 million through the life of the contract.
http://www.startribune.com/how-adam-thie...508608322/

Great kid. Great player. Works hard. Homegrown. Money well spent. 

& little help either, thought this deal would be more cap friendly, there must be additional moves coming...?

Quote: @Kentis said:
& little help either, thought this deal would be more cap friendly, there must be additional moves coming...?
I did too...  I'm actually pretty surprised they didn't lower his cap hit this year.

I think we can all agree that he deserves the money he got.

I don’t think it makes sense to suggest that it doesn’t
affect the cap health of the team.  I
guess if you only look at this year, then sure it didn’t really change things,
but looking out into the future we definitely decreased our cap flexibility by
locking him up long term.  Locking
players up long term is always a gamble, but Brezinski is always pretty good at
leaving outs for the team.

I mean just look at this offseason.  All people could talk about is which good players
we should cut/trade because they’re not quite good enough to match their
contract that they earned from previous years performance or we were allocating
our cap dollars to the wrong positions.

Quote: @Kentis said:
something will need to happen. not sure where. would assume we’ll move a CB at some point