@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
Stephen is mediocre at best.  Why would they bring him back on such a long deal?
Crazy stupid.
Just sign him to a one year deal.
And why not wait?  There are plenty of defensive tackles similar to Stephen that probably will get signed for less in a week or two on one year deals.
Like a Rodney Gunter.
Does this mean they are going to skip over this great DT class this year because now they have the great Stephen back?
Its probably more like a one year deal with two option years whether they're official options or not. There won't be so much money guaranteed they couldn't move on next off-season. If they end up losing Sheldon I'm sure they will end up find another pass rusher in the draft. 
I have to see the terms but this is not very impressive to go back to what you did not want to pay to keep last year.
With limited cap space I was hoping it would be used on the offensive line.
And not for over aged on the decline players.
I would have patience when it comes to the O-line. They aren't going to be throwing around $10M+ for slightly above average players. They'll make more cap room, I'm sure of that. But this is simply a depth move and an improvement to the run defense that significantly regressed. 
OK.  But what does that say about Jaleel and Jayln?
I think it probably still leaves Jaleel a role. Jayln is more of a wildcard its still possible they could move him over to DE as well. 

This strikes me the opposite: Jaleel Johnson is on the spot. Stephen and Jaleel are both playing NT, so shouldn't Jaleel be developing into adequate depth behind Linvalle Joseph?
Also, you can excuse Jalyn Holmes' low visibility in 2018 because he was a rookie being switched from college DE to 3T. But Johnson already had a year and full offseason with the Vikings. He did get a fair amount of snaps, but not much production. If they liked what they saw from Jaleel, I don't think Shamar Stephen would be back.
I don't think they saw enough from Jaleel Johnson to hand him a full time role. He did play well the last 1/3 of last year though so it doesn't mean he couldn't earn one. The issue last year was the Vikings were pushed around whenever Linval was out of the game. Shamar can slide over now and also gives you another look at 3-tech. Its awfully hard to run against both him and Linval up the middle. 
They were also pushed around when Linval WAS IN the game!
Very true. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Getting goosebumps. 
Put on a sweater and come off the porch. You'll catch your breath out there...

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"njvike" said:
Whoo-hoo! Super Bowl here we come! 

Ricky is truly a master. His well documented history of playoff success (Chicago, Miami, Minnesota) makes this an immediate slam dunk!

Kudos!!

You suck.
[Image: udnwjs0jo1zv.jpg]

In my opinion this is a very good signing for the money. Shamar is an average defensive tackle who’s pretty good against the run. He played well along side Joseph in the run game and I would guess they are trying to address this main weakness on our defense. In a rotation he could be a great fit. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Getting goosebumps. 
Put on a sweater and come off the porch. You'll catch your breath out there...
[Image: vOMmge0.jpg]

I'm wondering if we created some cap space here soon if we looked at a guy like Suh on a short term deal? I know there had been some rumors potentially linking him to Minnesota. We have invested a couple mid round picks at the position recently in Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes, just not sure where they are at in their development or how comfortable the coaching staff is with them going into next season. 

Any thoughts here Guru?

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I'm wondering if we created some cap space here soon if we looked at a guy like Suh on a short term deal? I know there had been some rumors potentially linking him to Minnesota. We have invested a couple mid round picks at the position recently in Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes, just not sure where they are at in their development or how comfortable the coaching staff is with them going into next season. 

Any thoughts here Guru?
If his price was really competitive I could see them looking into it. But more likely that not, they'll pass.