Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source: Vikings pondering a change with left tackle Riley Reiff
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I asked around on this and it sounds like moving Reiff inside is an option on the table but not the plan as of today. Based on the Vikings past draft philosophies I doubt they'd choose at guard unless they trade down in the 1st. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't take the right OT, which would potentially make Reiff the guy to move. There are a lot of unknowns but there are really 3 ways I see it going. 

1. They draft a LT. It would make the most sense to leave the rookie on their natural side and then if they can start day one bump Reiff inside. If they need a year of development you end up leaving Reiff on the outside and develop the rookie at LG. 

2. Draft a RT. This is probably more clear-cut. They would move O'Neill back to LT which is theoretically his natural side and bump Reiff inside. 

3. Draft a guard outside of round one. Obviously Reiff stays put. 

Personally I would be planning to move on from Reiff in 2020 barring a restructure this off-season. You can't eat the dead money unless you do it post-June 1. That is the fall through if they do bump him inside to guard and he is beat out. But more likely than a straight up cut, he'd have trade value. 
I'm not sure you can look at past draft philosophies as any kind of signal they won't draft IOL at 18. First of all, we have an entirely new offensive coaching staff, including a new OC, a new run-game coordinator and a new offensive line coach. You said it yourself that the Vikings would've taken Frank Ragnow if he'd been there last year. Granted, they were picking quite a bit lower than they are this year. 

Nice to see you, Geoff! Smile