Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Vikings Resign Sheldon Richardson?
I hope we pass on both Richardson and Barr and put the money elsewhere.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Internally the Vikings are really high on him so I'd assume they'll make an effort to hold onto him. He struggled against the run at times but some of that was scheme based and the fact it was his first year in the system. The Vikings play a lot of pre-snap games with the interior lineman which makes me believe he'd be much better after a season in the playbook. 

It will come down to cost though. If he wants to be paid like a top 5 DT the Vikings won't give him that money. If he wants a multi-year deal between $8-10M/yr that would at least keep the conversations moving. There is also a chance the interior D-line market gets suppressed due to the strong draft class. 
His struggles against the run are what make me a bit hesitant to re-sign him. Though the hard part to know as a fan is what the coaches are asking him to do, so if there are pre-snap issues that should smooth out in year 2, then he is less risky from that perspective. I've seen some speculation that his price would be $12 million per year, so it would help out a lot if a strong DT draft class drives the market down. We also have two developmental tackles in Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes, not claiming they are Richardson's caliber, but they at least have a backup plan and could address further in the draft.

Out of curiosity, do you have any insight on why Linval Joseph had an off year? Was he hurt, slowing down due to age, stuck trying to compensate for Richardson, or is my perception of him having a down year wrong? It seemed like he was getting gashed badly up the middle on runs on a relatively consistent basis. Is NT a position we should start to be getting concerned about?

Quote: @minny65 said:
I could see a case being made for that, but that's still a lot of talent to let walk. My gut feeling is to keep Barr, since his skill set will be harder to replace. The hard part with Barr is that I'd want to see more consistency out of him, but I guess it depends on how much you believe that he's sacrificing production for the good of the scheme.

Edit: I'm also curious to see if the development of Hill and the early progress that Hughes showed pre-injury means that Waynes is unlikely to see a second contract with Minnesota. It just seems like the Vikings are at a point where they will need to start letting some talent walk on D and the question will be how good they are at replenishing it?

This. Will the team ever learn or just do the same thing and expect a different result? 

Quote: @Tyr said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Internally the Vikings are really high on him so I'd assume they'll make an effort to hold onto him. He struggled against the run at times but some of that was scheme based and the fact it was his first year in the system. The Vikings play a lot of pre-snap games with the interior lineman which makes me believe he'd be much better after a season in the playbook. 

It will come down to cost though. If he wants to be paid like a top 5 DT the Vikings won't give him that money. If he wants a multi-year deal between $8-10M/yr that would at least keep the conversations moving. There is also a chance the interior D-line market gets suppressed due to the strong draft class. 
His struggles against the run are what make me a bit hesitant to re-sign him. Though the hard part to know as a fan is what the coaches are asking him to do, so if there are pre-snap issues that should smooth out in year 2, then he is less risky from that perspective. I've seen some speculation that his price would be $12 million per year, so it would help out a lot if a strong DT draft class drives the market down. We also have two developmental tackles in Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes, not claiming they are Richardson's caliber, but they at least have a backup plan and could address further in the draft.

Out of curiosity, do you have any insight on why Linval Joseph had an off year? Was he hurt, slowing down due to age, stuck trying to compensate for Richardson, or is my perception of him having a down year wrong? It seemed like he was getting gashed badly up the middle on runs on a relatively consistent basis. Is NT a position we should start to be getting concerned about?

I could see a case being made for that, but that's still a lot of talent to let walk. My gut feeling is to keep Barr, since his skill set will be harder to replace. The hard part with Barr is that I'd want to see more consistency out of him, but I guess it depends on how much you believe that he's sacrificing production for the good of the scheme.

Edit: I'm also curious to see if the development of Hill and the early progress that Hughes showed pre-injury means that Waynes is unlikely to see a second contract with Minnesota. It just seems like the Vikings are at a point where they will need to start letting some talent walk on D and the question will be how good they are at replenishing it?
It's is a lot of talent...And in the cyclical world of the NFL, Zimm's D needs to continue to evolve to handle all this McVay, Peterson, Reid, LaFluer (??) RPO, misdirection crap out there now. 

That means more big nickel type players and schemes. Does Barr fit that? For the $$ he'll command? 

I don't know...

Zimm does love him some Sheldon Richardson...I suspect the same can be said of Dre

Vikings' Sheldon Richardson becomes a better version of himself

To grasp how high Sheldon Richardson’s stock is rising as a Viking in December 2018 one must understand how low it fell as a Jet on July 31, 2015.

The headline in the New York Daily News that day screamed, “Big Apple Idiots.” The first sentence asked, “Who’s New York’s dumbest athlete?”
“Me and Jason Pierre-Paul were on there,” said Richardson, referring to the then-Giants defensive end who mangled his right hand with a firecracker. “I got ranked ahead of JPP. Said I was dumber than him blowing his fingers off. Harsh. But, hey, what’s New York without drama?”
Richardson turned 28 Thursday. He’s in a good spot as the happy, focused father of 2-year-old Riley Rose Richardson. He’s also one of coach Mike Zimmer’s most coveted type of player — rarely found three-technique D-tackles with quick-twitch, high motor and 300-pound frame. And he’s also the guy who sacked Aaron Rodgers twice in last week’s win over the Packers and heads to New England on Sunday with 2 ½ career sacks of Tom Brady.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-sheld...501716861/

Quote: @Tyr said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Linval is a case where the team will need more tape. At the beginning of the season he was his normal self which makes it seem less likely his deteriorating play was age based. Add in the fact that he was pretty banged up by mid-season and I would personally lean in that direction. But you can't deny that he is about to be 31 this coming season. I wouldn't be surprised if they began looking for a replacement. 

@Tyr said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Linval is a case where the team will need more tape. At the beginning of the season he was his normal self which makes it seem less likely his deteriorating play was age based. Add in the fact that he was pretty banged up by mid-season and I would personally lean in that direction. But you can't deny that he is about to be 31 this coming season. I wouldn't be surprised if they began looking for a replacement. 
1T or 3T #1?

Watch this board and twitter go all Nuclear...

Only if he is "reasonable" in his demands.  I don't think he will be and both he and Barr are likely to ask for a mountain of money. 

Nope, not going to work.