Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpEd: Best case scenario for the Vikings’ offensive line this offseason...
Best case scenario: new (good) OL coach... new OC (whose vision meshes with our offensive personnel- especially the OL... as well as Zim's philosophies)... and 2 new OG's (assuming that Isadora isn't a starter- which I'm not sure of, because I don't trust these coaches' abilities to evaluate talent).  Then bring back Hill for depth, along with Easton and Collins. 

Best case scenario would be signing a highly rated free agent guard and drafting a couple of offensive linemen worthy of a 1st or 2nd round.  Bring this line together.

Instead of moving back to acquire ten picks, I think they would be more successful if they spend some of their draft capital to move up and draft a lineman they think can start day one. There aren't that many in the draft but teams always seem to find some in every draft class.
In free agency, the trend has been to ignore first tier free agent linemen due to their high price, then overpay for second tier free agents that, more often than not, are marginal starters at best.
Bargain hunting for free agent O-linemen hasn't worked very well.
A bargain is only a bargain if the quality is there.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
Instead of moving back to acquire ten picks, I think they would be more successful if they spend some of their draft capital to move up and draft a lineman they think can start day one. There aren't that many in the draft but teams always seem to find some in every draft class.
In free agency, the trend has been to ignore first tier free agent linemen due to their high price, then overpay for second tier free agents that, more often than not, are marginal starters at best.
Bargain hunting for free agent O-linemen hasn't worked very well.
A bargain is only a bargain if the quality is there.

Who says there aren't many O-Linemen in the Draft? There could be as many as 5 OTs that go in the 1st Round and many of those project better at OG.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
While the Minnesota Vikings have plenty of positions to address this offseason, the spotlight will be on the offensive line in both free agency and the NFL draft.
Pro Football Focus ranked the Vikings’ offensive line 27th in pass blocking and 25th in run blocking. Without improvement in 2019, it would be difficult to see the Vikings gaining much traction offensively.

But how much better can they get with the options available? What is the best possible outcome for the Vikings’ O-line? Let’s have a look…
TackleWhat happened
The Vikings went into the season with veteran Riley Reiff and swing tackle Rashod Hill starting on the right side, which proved to be problematic. Hill gave up five sacks and 28 total QB pressures, per Pro Football Focus, in just 342 pass blocking snaps.
Rookie Brian O’Neill took over midway through the year and was a significant improvement, allowing 31 pressures in 531 pass snaps. Still there were struggles for the first-year player, who graded as PFF’s 47th of 62 qualifying tackles.
While Reiff notably struggled in a few games, especially against Buffalo while he was battling a foot injury and Chicago against Khalil Mack, he ultimately had a solid season, ranking 22nd by PFF.
Best case scenario for 2019
While Reiff isn’t going to put on a gold jacket someday, there isn’t anywhere close to a better option than him at left tackle for the Vikings next season. There isn’t an Andrew Whitworth-caliber free agent tackle on the market this offseason. If they wanted to move on, the Vikings could cut Reiff and save $8.8 million on the cap, but without an obvious upgrade, it’s hard to make a case for doing so.
The best free agent options on the right side are Chicago veteran Bobby Massie (34th by PFF), Dolphins starter Ja’Wuan James (31st by PFF) and Washington swing tackle Ty Nsekhe. Neither would be an upgrade over O’Neill, assuming he takes another step forward.

Guard

What happened
The retirement of Joe Berger punched a hole in a solid 2017 offensive line that they tried to fill by moving Mike Remmers to right guard rather than DeForest Buckner and Aaron Donald. It turned out Remmers was a much better tackle. He allowed the third most QB pressures of any guard in the NFL and graded 35th out of 54 guards with at least 550 snaps.
Tom Compton took over the starting left guard position following a season-ending injury to starter Nick Easton. Like Remmers, he was in a unique spot having never started a full season before in his career. Compton rated 33rd by PFF’s grading system and gave up 35 pressures.
With Easton’s status unclear, it’s hard to say whether they can count on him coming back to full strength at the left guard spot next season. Cap space may be tight, but the Vikings should be in the running for starting Los Angeles Rams guard Roger Saffold, the eighth ranked guard by PFF. He and veteran Steelers guard Ramon Foster (14th) are the two unrestricted free agents who would be clear-cut upgrades.
Center

What happened
Pat Elflein’s sophomore season started out by missing all of training camp and the first three weeks of the season. When he returned, the former Ohio State start was forced to match up with Aaron Donald and Fletcher Cox in consecutive weeks. He never appeared to get fully back to his 2017 form during the season and finished as the worst graded center by PFF in the NFL.
Getting him a full offseason to get his strength back will be enormous for the talented young center. 
Another aspect of Elflein’s struggles was the team’s schematic changes. Pat Shurmur used both Elflein and Easton’s athleticism to the Vikings’ advantage, but we rarely saw that in 2018. He wasn’t running out to the second level on screens or reach blocking on outside zone runs very often. Both of those things may have impacted his final grade.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2019/0...offseason/
All indications are that Saffold and the Rams will be working out a new deal. He likes LA and wants to return. If the free agent guard pool is that thin, what makes anyone think they would want to come here or we could afford to be the highest bidder with our cap situation? Nobody is letting their key offensive lineman leave. We will be stuck signing career backups like Compton or failed draft picks by Teams clearing cap room. That is a risky bet to take based on hope and prayers that we can find a player who was in the wrong situation or overlooked by coaching staff. I just don't believe we will solve our Offensive Line issues through Free Agency this offseason. The draft offers very little hope this year as well as there are very few day 1 starters available to draft at Guard and/or Center. They are all prospects that will need time to develop. 

This is like the 10th time you've said the Draft is thin. I checked the latest CBS Mock and they had 5 Tackles (some of whom will move inside) and 2 Guards going in the 1st.  That's not an outsized number as most Mocks have at least 4.

There's also some good looking prospects that will be available in the 2nd....

Let me put this a different way. If Braden Smith & Brian O'Neill were in this Draft they would be taken in the 2nd just like last year as there's too many guys in this Draft with higher floors.

What was the injury to easton---is it career ending or why is there doubt he can rebound to play next season

oh neck surgery---have to wait and see if he can go next year or if he will ave to start the next phase of life sooner than he anticipated 

Quote: @"Akvike" said:
oh neck surgery---have to wait and see if he can go next year or if he will ave to start the next phase of life sooner than he anticipated 

Elbow injury for Aviante Collins. I never saw reports of surgery.
If TBro is right - no help in FA or the draft - then our OL hopes will be built on:
  1. Easton fully recovering and resuming his level of play from 2017.
  2. Collins fully recovering AND moving to OG and proving he is an improvement over Compton or Remmers.
  3. Isadora improving enough to be better than Compton or Remmers.
We will need 2 of those 3, no decline from Reiff/Elflein/O'Neill, and no further injuries.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
Best case scenario: new (good) OL coach... new OC (whose vision meshes with our offensive personnel- especially the OL... as well as Zim's philosophies)... and 2 new OG's (assuming that Isadora isn't a starter- which I'm not sure of, because I don't trust these coaches' abilities to evaluate talent).  Then bring back Hill for depth, along with Easton and Collins. 
I think we should approach the offseason as if Easton won't be back. In all likelihood he will be back, but we can't afford to count on that. Hill will probably generate more attention from other teams than ours, so I don't expect him back either. Still, you bring in a free agent guard and draft a left tackle and a guard in the first three rounds and you go a long way toward improving this line.