Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre and Kubiak speak on a few topics...
TALENT UP FRONTWhile the Vikings lost veterans Everson Griffen and Linval Joseph this offseason, co-defensive coordinator Andre Patterson still seems genuinely excited about the defensive linemen on the roster. 
Aside from superstar Danielle Hunter leading the charge, the Vikings boast tons of depth up front, including the recently signed Michael Pierce, the up-and-coming Ifeadi Odenigbo, plus depth players like Shamar Stephen and Jaleel Johnson, among others. 
“Don’t forget Hercules Mata’afa, too,” Patterson said. “I’m excited about that group. There’s great talent within the group. There’s a good mix of experience and youth. You’ve still got a good group of guys that are working to continue to progress their games, and I think we’ve got some guys that are ready to turn the corner. It’s going to be a great competition with that group throughout training camp to see how it’s going to figure itself out.” 
This could be a breakout season for Odenigbo, in particular, as he’s likely to garner more playing time than ever before. 
“He made great strides last season and he’s a tremendous hard worker,” Patterson said. “I know he’s busting his tail right now to continue to improve. As a matter of fact, I have to talk to him about not over-training and not working too hard. And I think the leadership part of it comes natural. You can’t make anybody be a leader. It just comes natural.” 
BIG, BIG UPSIDEIt seems like only a matter of time before the dynamic Irv Smith Jr. takes the torch from longtime tight end Kyle Rudolph. 
As a rookie last season, Smith learned the intricacies of the position, refining his skills as an offensive weapon, while also developing his skills as a blocker. 
He started to find his niche as time wore on and it’s reasonable to think he will take on an ever bigger role next season. 
“I think there’s a big, big upside here,” Kubiak said. “I love him as a kid and as a competitor. He really enjoys coming to work every day and he’s benefited from sitting back there right next to Rudy every day and watching a seasoned pro go about it. I think there’s a lot more there, and he’s going to give it to us, and I’ve got to make sure that I get him in position to do that.”
https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/19/ex...xt-season/