Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk Cousins graded the No. 8 QB in first half of NFL season
8. KIRK COUSINS, QB, MINNESOTA VIKINGS2018 OVERALL GRADE: 84.3Accuracy percentage: 60.3% (8th)
Clean-Pocket Grade: 90.1 (10th)
Cousins has found heaven in Minnesota in the form of Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen, as he has more than gotten his money’s worth from his two superstar wideouts this season, specifically when targeting the duo deep down the field. Cousins, Rodgers and Mahomes each have 18 big-time throws on passes of 20-plus air yards, but Cousins leads the trio in big-time throw percentage (48.6%) and ranks second among all quarterbacks in passer rating (136.5) on such throws.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pr...ter-week-9

As such, the number that sticks out is 8. That is of course the jersey number of Vikings QB Kirk Cousins — and it is also his place in the rankings.
While that qualifies as a shade below elite, it puts him in a cluster of very good quarterbacks — one spot behind Tom Brady, two spots ahead of Carson Wentz, for example — and validates the eye test.
Cousins has been everything advertised, which includes some negatives like his fumbles, but on balance he has not just stabilized a revolving door at QB so far but produced far above-average play. His biggest asset: A strong, accurate arm that gives him the ability to make game-changing plays. Per PFF:
Cousins, (Aaron) Rodgers and (Patrick) Mahomes each have 18 big-time throws on passes of 20-plus air yards, but Cousins leads the trio in big-time throw percentage (48.6 percent) and ranks second among all quarterbacks in passer rating (136.5) on such throws.
Case Keenum — last year’s starter for the Vikings — is No. 25 in the rankings during a mediocre first season with Denver.
*Making Cousins’ first nine games even more impressive is the below-average offensive line he’s been working behind. That group ranks No. 29 of 32 NFL teams in similar PFF midyear rankings, though the site did note a minor positive in the adequate play of rookie second-round pick Brian O’Neill at tackle.
*Conventional wisdom says the Vikings are on a good path to make the playoffs after winning four of their last five games heading into the bye, but a Football Outsiders piece on ESPN (Insider subscription required) says not so fast.
The Vikings are given just a 40.3 percent chance of reaching the postseason, in part because according to FBO’s metrics they’ve played the league’s easiest schedule-to-date and things get much harder post-bye with the second-toughest remaining schedule. The Bears, by contrast, are given nearly an 80 percent chance to make it — even though the teams are bunched closely in the NFC North, with Chicago 5-3 and the Vikings 5-3-1.
http://www.startribune.com/kirk-cousins-...500057431/

Him and Richardson were huge for us this off-season. Cousins is exactly what I felt he would be when he was brought in. We new about his ball security issues and hope that gets better.
Overall, I think fans should be pretty happy so far.

Are you SURE that's his ranking and NOT his jersey number???? ;-P

I thought that site didn't count for rating QB's?

Check out number 9 for the 2017 season, not half way point grades.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fi...rades-2017

Is 85.4 greater than 84.3

84.3 would have gained 12 place to end the 2017 season.

Excerpt from the PFF QB Annual: Keenum’s incredible run this season with the Vikings extended all the way into the red zone this season. He threw the highest percentage of catchable passes of any starter in that area (76.9 percent) and didn’t have a single turnover-worthy throw. That’s more than just game managing.

Vikings have played the easiest schedule to date? 

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
Yeah that stuck out to me as well.  Eagles, Saints, Rams and Packers are all pretty tough.  My guess is that it is all records based.  If you look at this team, we played down to the wire games with the Saints and the Rams, who are the clear cut leaders in the NFC and in my mind the NFL right now.  Both of those games could have easily gone to the Vikings.  

I'm not the least bit worried about the Vikings making the playoffs.  We will see it when we play the Bears after the bye.  The Bears are a nice team but I'd take the Vikes D and O vs theirs every day of the week.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
Yea has to be a mistake.