Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laquon Treadwell and Aldrick Robinson
Quote: @Jor-El said:
Oh I knew the "our line has to get better to throw deep" line would emerge quickly. I forgot that no NFL team has ever thrown deep without a minimum of 3 All-Pros on their OL.
When we keep throwing short, doesn't that just let the entire defense crowd the line, play tight, and rush harder? If plodding Treadwell is the 3rd WR on passing downs, doesn't that let teams blitz a safety with less worry? Use speed to scare and pull the defense back so they have to beat our line with a 4-man rush.

@FSUVike said:

I am also much more interested in the DB/WR matchup than yet another lame Treadwell thread. Jesus, the team wins a Super Bowl and some folks here will still be bitching about him.
I sure wish you could say that about the Vikings with some historical evidence. Until then...yes, I'll keep expecting improvement.

oh for shits sake,  you make it sound like he is slow as an OT.  he is only a tick slower and has shown the ability to get open down field on plenty of occassions.  Robinson is likely still a touch faster,  but I doubt he is still putting up the 443 number that he did when he came out 8 years ago.  Treadwell is still very much in a prime and could even be faster than the 464 he posted when he came out while still recovering from his broken leg the previous year.  Treadwell is being used because he checks more boxes than Robinson in what Flipper wants the #3 receiver to do,  when he isnt able to do that then Robinson gets an opportunity.

Quick slant to a big body that can shield the DB, Jor El.  Football 101 on beating a blitz.

We've already seen Kirk throw that pass in that situation to Treadwell. Actually several times. Yes, one was a disaster. But for the most part it's been a successful connection that Cousins doesn't hesitate to go to when the Defense dictates it.

Pretty sure it's 0 for 32 on DCs who get scared and won't blitz just because a burner with a few catches is on the field. Otherwise Ted Guinn and Cord Patterson and Will Fuller would be amongst the most highly compensated and wanted WRs in the League.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Oh I knew the "our line has to get better to throw deep" line would emerge quickly. I forgot that no NFL team has ever thrown deep without a minimum of 3 All-Pros on their OL.
When we keep throwing short, doesn't that just let the entire defense crowd the line, play tight, and rush harder? If plodding Treadwell is the 3rd WR on passing downs, doesn't that let teams blitz a safety with less worry? Use speed to scare and pull the defense back so they have to beat our line with a 4-man rush.
@FSUVike said:

I am also much more interested in the DB/WR matchup than yet another lame Treadwell thread. Jesus, the team wins a Super Bowl and some folks here will still be bitching about him.
I sure wish you could say that about the Vikings with some historical evidence. Until then...yes, I'll keep expecting improvement.
Again, you seem to not watch the game sometimes.  Treadwell draws attention.  he is a good big WR that command respect.  Saying Robinson should replace Treadwell most downs isn't just the occasional deep ball, it would be every play.  And on most plays, guys aren't just running go routes.  Speaking of safeties, how many times has Robinson pulled safety help?

everyone knows we keep Tread for his deep threat blocking abilities

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
Yep, and apparently makes a mean frittata. Definitely living up to that 1st round pick status. 

He'll have a one and done contract with the Vikings. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Maple Surple said:
Yep, and apparently makes a mean frittata. Definitely living up to that 1st round pick status. 

He'll have a one and done contract with the Vikings. 
Even if Treadwell was really good, he probably would be "one and done".  Would you expect RS to have three large $$ contracts at the WR position?  AT is going to need a new deal soon, and he deserves it.

Who knows, maybe Tready stays for cheap because he hasn't produced until recently.  I gave up on him after the GB game, but now I think he's actually a decent #3.  Seems like he's moving the chains after most of his catches.

Robinson stepped in & showed that its not that big a deal...get open & catch the damn ball every now & then
Wright, among others, made a nice living doing that
Good point about WR payroll & Tread looks destined for New England

My bigger concern - bigger than Treadwell vs. Robinsons - is that Zimmer will insist on more runs to “keep the ball, take time off the clock, and keep Brees off the field.”  But the Saints’ strength on defense is vs. the run and they are vulnerable vs. the pass. And our best offensive players are Cousins, Thielen, and Diggs. Run, run, pass, punt does not eat clock. It just gives Brees more opportunities. Likewise, running for 0 or 1 yard on first and facing second and long every drive is unlikely to be successful.  And it does not matter how good your defense is; eventually, Brees will figure it out and beat the defense. 

Against the Saints, I would prefer pass and mix in the run, than run and mix in the pass.

Quote: @dadevike said:
My bigger concern - bigger than Treadwell vs. Robinsons - is that Zimmer will insist on more runs to “keep the ball, take time off the clock, and keep Brees off the field.”  But the Saints’ strength on defense is vs. the run and they are vulnerable vs. the pass. And our best offensive players are Cousins, Thielen, and Diggs. Run, run, pass, punt does not eat clock. It just gives Brees more opportunities. Likewise, running for 0 or 1 yard on first and facing second and long every drive is unlikely to be successful.  And it does not matter how good your defense is; eventually, Brees will figure it out and beat the defense. 

Against the Saints, I would prefer pass and mix in the run, than run and mix in the pass.
my you are a broken record about Zimmer.

Have you watched the games this year?  We don't run run pass.  I actually hope that we go against our norm this year and stick with the run.  just pass pass pass will allow Jordan to do his damage.

If the pass is working keep the ponies running down field---weve got a better chance in a shoot out than a grind and hope for a lucky break late in the game.