Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudy - YAC
I have noticed Rudy is doing a lot better with making yards after he catches the ball in the last month or so.  For a long time it seemed like he was a tree just waiting to be cut down after he caught the ball.  Now he has been catching and then driving the ball up the field when contacted.  Has anybody else noticed this?
  I believe he even had a rumbling, bumbling run for 10-20 yards in the last game or two when he was left open.

Quote: @"ThunderGod" said:
I have noticed Rudy is doing a lot better with making yards after he catches the ball in the last month or so.  For a long time it seemed like he was a tree just waiting to be cut down after he caught the ball.  Now he has been catching and then driving the ball up the field when contacted.  Has anybody else noticed this?
  I believe he even had a rumbling, bumbling run for 10-20 yards in the last game or two when he was left open.
part of that is timing and ball placement for him.  KC does a lot better job of leading him and putting the ball where he can handle it in stride without having to lose a step,  Rudy is a good TE but nobody will ever call him quick and once he gives up his stride it take a bit of time to get that train rolling again.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"ThunderGod" said:
part of that is timing and ball placement for him.  KC does a lot better job of leading him and putting the ball where he can handle it in stride without having to lose a step,  Rudy is a good TE but nobody will ever call him quick and once he gives up his stride it take a bit of time to get that train rolling again.
At the same time it seems like A LOT of Viking routes are thrown to receivers looking at the QB.  Short quick stop, turn around and catch.  It's been part of the Viking's bread and butter for years,(or maybe it just seems like it because I don't like it) but yes his YAC this year(4.0) is almost double of last years(2.2) and almost back to where he was in 2016 with 4.3 YAC per reception.  He was at 4.0 in 2015.  

Interesting.  The facts do prove out what I thought I was seeing.
I realize it only takes a one or two good YACs to change stats but Rudy is not one who takes it to the house or gets 30-40 extra yards.  He is a grinder so he must be doing better with the little YACs.

Rudy’s strenfths are he’s a big target with very good hands and he finds open spots in the defense.  He has also improved his blocking to where he is adequate. But he has no speed or quickness and is not very good at breaking tackles. We have been trying to upgrade the receiving TE position for years but Rudy is still no. 1 there.