Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Bills
Here are my thoughts on the Bills game:
  • Character:  Early last week, I wrote, "I think we will learn a lot about the character of the 2018 Vikings on Sunday."  My thought on this is we learned the Vikings need to lay with a chip on their shoulder to play well.  This, obviously, is not sustainable.  And why do they need to play with that type of emotion to dispatch a team with less talent?  This brings me around to questioning the coaching.  A well coached team should play with consistency -- it should not have great highs and abysmal lows.  There are other factors at play here but I do go back to the coaching.  One thing also, I think the defensive players have lost confidence in each other doing their jobs.  Started last year but has really snowballed at this point.  Once you are afraid that someone is not going to do their job, you hedge your own job to cover up the potential mistakes of others. 
  • Defense:  Shouldn't DeFilippo have told Zimmer what has exposed his defense?  And shouldn't have Zimmer come up with a correction?
  • Defensive Players - One SentenceJoseph:  How come it feels like he is plugging up the middle but the Bills still got 3-4 yards every time they ran up the middle?  Rhodes:  Does it feel like opposing quarterbacks are no longer afraid of throwing in Rhodes direction?  Barr:  Zim selected Barr to be a captain this year?  Waynes:  Does Waynes get injured every time he drops an interception?  Kendricks: Feels like he is one of the players trying to compensate for others.  Smith/Sendejo:  Seems like the Bills made them disappear this week.
  • Offense Playing From Behind:  This offense, with its poor Oline play, is not built to play from behind.  When the other team can just rush the passer without any run discipline, this line is toast.  Frankly, having seen this game now, I would never defer the kickoff to the second half.  Give me the damn ball.
  • Boone:  Boone can't be on the field if he can't pass block.  The fact he also got as many carries as Murray is also appalling to me.
  • Cousins:  I think I can safely say that Cousins is a streak quarterback.  Very inconsistent from game to game, even half to half.  Looked like he had too much adrenaline running through him in the first half.  That being said, if you have a streaky quarterback, you need to game plan to get him on a hot streak.  Start with easy passes to build his confidence and rhythm. 

my thoughts:

Yuck.  Click.

As to the O-Line, from Vikings.com

Quote:

The Vikings tied an NFL record for fewest rush attempts by a team in
one game (six), joining the Chicago Cardinals (against the Boston
Redskins on Oct. 29, 1933), the New England Patriots (against the
Pittsburgh Steelers on Oct. 31, 2004) and the Arizona Cardinals (against
the Vikings on Nov. 26, 2006).

Mike Boone had 11 yards on two carries, and Latavius Murray netted one yard on two carries.

Neither back had a rush attempt in the second half, which the Vikings started trailing 27-0.

The only two rushes by Minnesota after halftime were on two scrambles by Kirk Cousins that netted two yards.

While it’s a convention for teams to rely heavy on the passing game
when trailing by multiple scores, the imbalance helped Buffalo’s defense
implement speed rushes without maintaining any honesty for defending
the run.

No offensive line is going to look good against NFL pass rushers that don't have to worry about the run.  Stunts and twists and blitzes are hard to counter without running the ball.  The Bills got to Cousins early and rattled him.  He was off and so were the WRs and it snowballed fast. 

Might want to remind Flip that it was the first quarter and we could still try to run the ball.  But when the o-line misses a few blocks, the QB miss open throws and WRs drop passes, you don't get many chances to be ahead of the chains. 

our S disappeared because we had to play 2 deep. Our DB communication has disappeared. Our entire D communication has disappeared. Maybe get Iloka out there so Mac Alexander isn't biting on every fake? Barr and EK are really having to cover way more than they were last year. This D is really having to learn on the fly and its leaving WAY to many guys running wide open and not allowing us to be aggressive.