Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: 49ers
Here are my thoughts on the 49ers game:
  • Commentary.  Maybe I am glorifying my misspent youth, but I remember the commentators bring much more background to the games.  It was killing me when I would spy Kearse's jersey on the field and not know why he was there and whether the Vikes were in a 3 safety set and how that played out.  As a fan, I would love to see how playing 3 safeties changed the defensive formation, assignments, etc.  I also wanted to know why Kearse and not Harris or Iloka.  I thought Kearse was kept on the roster for his special team play and here he is on the field ahead of Harris and Iloka.  I know they can't talk about every substitution but going to 3 safeties is pretty novel.  I really find that most commentators don't add much to my understanding of the game -- which is really disappointing.
  • Offensive Line.  I know that one site had Compton graded as the Vikes' best Olineman in the game but there did not seem to be any chemistry on the interior of the line.  I hope it develops but I am looking forward to moving Compton to the bench.  I recall reading somewhere is takes a line a couple of years to really develop cohesion but I feel that is a fiction (like how hard it is for an olineman to move from one side to the other side).  However, I do feel it takes time to develop as a unit and, in the past 2 preseasons, the Oline has never been consistent.  It will be interesting to watch the Oline develop this year given the new faces, injuries and new coach.  It is something I anticipate watching the entire season.  Hopefully, the arrow is pointing up.  (Also, does it feel like Olineman are now getting hurt more often?)
  • Treadwell.  I am not going to waste your time with my thoughts on Treadwell's game as this excellent article should be read: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/9/11/17846064/minnesota-vikings-laquon-treadwell-week-1-film-review.
  • Cousins.  I am not going to lie, I was disappointed.  Yes, he made some throws that were excellent -- both TDs, for example.  But in the second half, he seemed to tense up.  For a SB run, I don't want a QB who seems to be affected by the moment and he seemed to be affected by playing in the 4th quarter and needing to make some plays.  Hopefully that is just 1st game jitters.  I think the offense is going to get better and better as they grow comfortable with each other but from a psychological point of view, he kind of scares me.  Also, there is something about him that reminds me of Gus Frerotte .... I can't put my finger on it.
  • Defense.   You get 4 turnovers (including an interception run back for a TD) and you should win by more than 8 points.  Just saying.  I thought the defense played excellently except for some glaring problems covering TE and releasing from coverage early.  I think it will be all be cleaned up.  The young CBs had some issues but nothing that won't be fixed during film study.  It is actually good to have some of the glaring mistakes appear so noticeably in this game as they will be quickly cleared up.  
  • My "Not Again" Moments.   When the new punter shanked a punt.  When Treadwell dropped the pass (which was not even to him).  The passes to the open tight ends.
  • My One Wish Moment.  End of the half, let Carlson try a 61 yard field goal.
  • Vikings PEE (Player Exceeding Expectation).  I am giving it to Sendejo.  When he shows up on the field, he knows how to make an appearance.  Hughes would be my second choice.  Speaking of Hughes and Commentators, did they have to keep saying it was the receivers fault on the interception.  Looked to me that Garappolo threw to the wrong place regardless of the receiver falling down.  Just sayin'.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Here are my thoughts on the 49ers game:
  • Commentary.  Maybe I am glorifying my misspent youth, but I remember the commentators bring much more background to the games.  It was killing me when I would spy Kearse's jersey on the field and not know why he was there and whether the Vikes were in a 3 safety set and how that played out.  As a fan, I would love to see how playing 3 safeties changed the defensive formation, assignments, etc.  I also wanted to know why Kearse and not Harris or Iloka.  I thought Kearse was kept on the roster for his special team play and here he is on the field ahead of Harris and Iloka.  I know they can't talk about every substitution but going to 3 safeties is pretty novel.  I really find that most commentators don't add much to my understanding of the game -- which is really disappointing.
Yes.  I saw that too and wondered why.  Zimmer used him as a nickel and moved Hughes outside.
  • Offensive Line.  I know that one site had Compton graded as the Vikes' best Olineman in the game but there did not seem to be any chemistry on the interior of the line.  I hope it develops but I am looking forward to moving Compton to the bench.  I recall reading somewhere is takes a line a couple of years to really develop cohesion but I feel that is a fiction (like how hard it is for an olineman to move from one side to the other side).  However, I do feel it takes time to develop as a unit and, in the past 2 preseasons, the Oline has never been consistent.  It will be interesting to watch the Oline develop this year given the new faces, injuries and new coach.  It is something I anticipate watching the entire season.  Hopefully, the arrow is pointing up.  (Also, does it feel like Olineman are now getting hurt more often?)
  • Treadwell.  I am not going to waste your time with my thoughts on Treadwell's game as this excellent article should be read: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/9/11/17846064/minnesota-vikings-laquon-treadwell-week-1-film-review.
  • Cousins.  I am not going to lie, I was disappointed.  Yes, he made some throws that were excellent -- both TDs, for example.  But in the second half, he seemed to tense up.  For a SB run, I don't want a QB who seems to be affected by the moment and he seemed to be affected by playing in the 4th quarter and needing to make some plays.  Hopefully that is just 1st game jitters.  I think the offense is going to get better and better as they grow comfortable with each other but from a psychological point of view, he kind of scares me.  Also, there is something about him that reminds me of Gus Frerotte .... I can't put my finger on it.
  • Defense.   You get 4 turnovers (including an interception run back for a TD) and you should win by more than 8 points.  Just saying.  I thought the defense played excellently except for some glaring problems covering TE and releasing from coverage early.  I think it will be all be cleaned up.  The young CBs had some issues but nothing that won't be fixed during film study.  It is actually good to have some of the glaring mistakes appear so noticeably in this game as they will be quickly cleared up.  
  • My "Not Again" Moments.   When the new punter shanked a punt.  When Treadwell dropped the pass (which was not even to him).  The passes to the open tight ends.
  • My One Wish Moment.  End of the half, let Carlson try a 61 yard field goal.
  • Vikings PEE (Player Exceeding Expectation).  I am giving it to Sendejo.  When he shows up on the field, he knows how to make an appearance.  Hughes would be my second choice.  Speaking of Hughes and Commentators, did they have to keep saying it was the receivers fault on the interception.  Looked to me that Garappolo threw to the wrong place regardless of the receiver falling down.  Just sayin'.
Read somewhere that the WR admitted to running the wrong route.  I don't believe that is the complete answer.  JimmyG got pressured and threw off his back foot without much mustard on the pass.  So regardless of where the WR was, it was a bad pass for that field location, easy pick 6.
And once again, great write up.

Interesting breakdown on Treadwell.  I didn't see the play in question as I had some over the air signal issues to start out.  But the "drop" he had when covered by Sherman was DPI or holding on Sherman who was grabbing him the whole time he tried to break back on the ball.

From SF Newspaper:

It was followed by a worse one. On the next snap, the Vikings brought a blitz that overloaded the right side of the offensive line, and Garoppolo threw a short out with three defenders bearing down on him. The result: His target, wide receiver Kendrick Bourne, fell down after running the incorrect route and cornerback Mike Hughes’ 28-yard interception return gave Minnesota a 17-3 lead.
“I was supposed to run an under route, Jimmy put the ball (inside) and I ran a hitch route” to the outside, Bourne said. “Just a missed (assignment) by me. Just thinking of another play. … Where he threw it was right, and I was wrong. It was on me. I told him I owe him one. I’ve got to get that play back. That’s stuff that can’t happen.”

Nice write-up, as usual, VO.  I agree with your takes on the OLine and Cousins.  He needs to make plays to extend drives late in games.  He looked/played like crap in the 4th.  Maybe Flip is to blame on that too.  So far, it doesn't look like we upgraded at OC to me.  It's early, and hopefully this offense gets it together starting this upcoming week.  They'll need it in Lambeau.

Maybe Kirk reminds you of Gus because of the Washington connection?  B)

Enjoyed this, VO. I agree with you, I think the offense is going to improve as they continue to work out the bugs. Getting Elflein back (whenever it happens) will be huge. I pray for no more injuries on the O-line.
The George Kittle thing disappointed me. Getting a play like that once in a game I can accept but not multiple times. I know Gedeon was at fault with the one play (not the Kittle plays but the other guy whose name I cannot pronounce or spell) but I wondered where Kendricks was on a couple of those. We were vulnerable against the TE last year too if I recall.
Sheldon Richardson had a great game. Having him going forward is going to be great. Hunter was definitely able to show off his stuff with Richardson creating a lot of havoc in there. Smith was awesome in this game.
I get your Kirk Cousins thing. I feel that too. I'm hoping it will go away. He scrambled around but he's not as adept at it as Keenum. He throws a nice ball though and his TD to Diggs was simply a thing of beauty. I think as he continues to get comfortable with his teammates and Flip's play calling we'll see things improve (and hopefully with all of that our line solidifies too).

Quote: @prairieghost said:
Enjoyed this, VO. I agree with you, I think the offense is going to improve as they continue to work out the bugs. Getting Elflein back (whenever it happens) will be huge. I pray for no more injuries on the O-line.
The George Kittle thing disappointed me. Getting a play like that once in a game I can accept but not multiple times. I know Gedeon was at fault with the one play (not the Kittle plays but the other guy whose name I cannot pronounce or spell) but I wondered where Kendricks was on a couple of those. We were vulnerable against the TE last year too if I recall.
Sheldon Richardson had a great game. Having him going forward is going to be great. Hunter was definitely able to show off his stuff with Richardson creating a lot of havoc in there. Smith was awesome in this game.
I get your Kirk Cousins thing. I feel that too. I'm hoping it will go away. He scrambled around but he's not as adept at it as Keenum. He throws a nice ball though and his TD to Diggs was simply a thing of beauty. I think as he continues to get comfortable with his teammates and Flip's play calling we'll see things improve (and hopefully with all of that our line solidifies too).
That was the fullback that Gedeon got caught peaking on the run fake.  East European name.   And yes, Kittle running loose was disturbing.  I chalked it up to first game, not having film on this years squad and Shanahan pulling out all the stops to get a win.  Hopefully we clean it up against GB.

I am going to be patient with cousins and the offense.  I figured before the season that we would need some time to get in sync. 

Nice write-up, OV. Thanks - I enjoy reading the different write-ups, thoughts, observations, etc. from those that take the time to do them.

Excellent writeup!

I kinda disagree on Cousins. First full game I kinda understand a bit of hesitancy and jitters. However this was the first time in a long time I wasn't worried about the QB after a few snaps.  I think this offense gels and starts dominating.

I'm more worried about the defensive backfield at this point. TE's and RB's running wild is not a good sign. 

Overall I think we played this one close to the vest to keep too much tape getting out too soon.

Quote: @Al (The Lochstar) Heurung said:

Overall I think we played this one close to the vest to keep too much tape getting out too soon.
With more thought and reading, I think this is the case both offensively and defensively.  Offensively, I have read how SF thought the Vikes played vanilla.  Now you could blame the new coordinator except the vikes definitely played fairly vanilla on defense except when forced by injuries to go to a 3 safety look.  You didn't see Barr let loose and the blitz seemed more scripted towards the SF injured guards than any particular wrinkle.  I am hoping the Vikes kept a lot locked away for GB.