Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Despite initial worries, Eagan got a kick out of training camp
With the inaugural training camp winding down, residents say their new neighbors kept traffic at bay, problems to a minimum and brought crowds streaming to local businesses.
By Erin Adler Star TribuneAugust 21, 2018 — 5:40am
Mendota Heights resident Nancy Commerford once compared the lights illuminating the Vikings Eagan training facility to a circus.
Neighbors howled and the team agreed to turn off the lights after 11 p.m. Commerford said the team kept its promise.
With the inaugural training camp winding down, residents say their new neighbors kept traffic at bay, problems to a minimum and brought crowds streaming to local businesses.
The early verdict is that the Vikings training camp did not cause the massive disruptions that prompted early fears.
And some residents said they weren’t even aware that the three-week session was underway, while others found plenty to gawk at. “Everyone’s always abuzz with, ‘Do you know where so-and-so lives?’ ” said Lisa Nelson of Eagan. “In fact, I may or may not have biked by Kirk Cousins’ house.”
Ultan Duggan, a Mendota Heights City Council member who had expressed concern, said the impact has been limited.
“People created a storm in a teacup,” said Duggan.
Local businesses, especially restaurants, saw more customers. Around town, residents spotted more fancy cars and occasionally even Vikings players themselves at places like the grocery store.
“To me it’s been thrilling,” said Dakota County Commissioner Tom Egan, who represents Eagan and Mendota Heights. “It’s so endearing to see the level of exposure that Eagan has gotten” from this.
http://www.startribune.com/despite-initi...491319171/

Mary O’Neill, who lives a half-mile from the Vikings’ facility, said training camp “worked phenomenally” and praised the team’s planning, which included “no parking” signs near her house and limited access to her neighborhood.
But like others, she said the jury’s still out on how development of the entire 200-acre Viking Lakes site will affect the area. Housing, retail and possibly a hotel are planned.
“You can call us in five years … and see what we think,” O’Neill said.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Mary O’Neill, who lives a half-mile from the Vikings’ facility, said training camp “worked phenomenally” and praised the team’s planning, which included “no parking” signs near her house and limited access to her neighborhood.
But like others, she said the jury’s still out on how development of the entire 200-acre Viking Lakes site will affect the area. Housing, retail and possibly a hotel are planned.
lol, nobody is going to care in 5 years. That site will be built up with hotels and retail space. The traffic will increase. And as sure as the sun comes up, homeowners will complain. I think the Vikings worked very hard to make the first year planning for the facilities to have as little heartburn for residents as possible. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
lol, nobody is going to care in 5 years. That site will be built up with hotels and retail space. The traffic will increase. And as sure as the sun comes up, homeowners will complain. I think the Vikings worked very hard to make the first year planning for the facilities to have as little heartburn for residents as possible. 
I think the Vikings did everything they could to accommodate the residents. With that said, I understand the frustrations. I've lived in an area with an unexpected development. Yes, it's good for property value, but some people don't care so much about that.