Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre likes that Richardson fella...
On the defensive side of the ball, Vikings line coach Andre Patterson talked about the impact of losing Tom Johnson but adding Sheldon Richardson.
“Well, first of all I really like my group,” Patterson said. “They work hard every day and come out here to get better. Sheldon has been a great addition to our group. He is a 300-pound guy that is very athletic. Has good feet, he has a good feel of how to play run blocks and done nothing but get better since the day he got here.”
A lot of the focus has been on how Richardson and the other interior defensive lineman, Linval Joseph, can really improve the inside pass rush. But Patterson said they might be just as effective helping the edge rushers such as Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter.
“I think he has a chance to help Linval out a lot but also the two defensive ends outside of him because the fastest way to the quarterback is through the middle,” Patterson said. “So if he can give us production from inside then that helps Everson and Danielle out a lot, too.”
While Patterson pointed out that Hunter had a great camp and Brian Robison continues to take on a more veteran teaching role, the coach also has been impressed by some of the younger players.
“You know, Stephen Weatherly and Tashawn Bower and Jaleel Johnson, those three young guys have had really good camps,” he said. “They worked really hard with our strength coach [Mark] Uyeyama to change their body. They’re stronger, they’re faster and they’ve really, really improved a lot since last season. I’ve been really happy with what those guys have done so far.”
http://www.startribune.com/kyle-rudolph-...487576381/

Please let Richardson stay healthy so we can see how he can impact this defense. 

Also, the more I read, the more I believe that the 3 RBs on the final roster will be Cook, Murray and Ham. The RB coach LOVES Ham.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Please let Richardson stay healthy so we can see how he can impact this defense. 

Also, the more I read, the more I believe that the 3 RBs on the final roster will be Cook, Murray and Ham. The RB coach LOVES Ham.

For me, I think Richardson will be a bigger impact for the team than Cousins.  With Richardson lined up next to Joseph rather than Johnson, both could have outstanding years.  Johnson was just decent and is not in Richardson's class as size and strength go.  Along with Hunter and Griffen on the edges, plus Kendricks and Barr...hell of a front 6 or 7 to get through.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@StickyBun said:

For me, I think Richardson will be a bigger impact for the team than Cousins.  With Richardson lined up next to Joseph rather than Johnson, both could have outstanding years.  Johnson was just decent and is not in Richardson's class as size and strength go.  Along with Hunter and Griffen on the edges, plus Kendricks and Barr...hell of a front 6 or 7 to get through.
I am expecting to see a lot of rolled up DBs and forcing the QB to hold the ball a second or two longer this year.  we now have the tools up front and in coverage to make every single passing play a legit sack opportunity.

Quote: @StickyBun said:

I think a RB/FB hybrid player just makes so much sense if the player can be functional at both, just because it opens up that extra roster spot.

Quote: @medaille said:
@StickyBun said:

I think a RB/FB hybrid player just makes so much sense if the player can be functional at both, just because it opens up that extra roster spot.
exactly, unless one of the youngsters really stands out and challenges for a real role in a weekly game plan it hard to carry 3 RBs and a FB that is only used situationally.  Ham being able to fill both roles is a great advantage to the team.

Yeah we might be needing to figure out a way to sign him past this season. Might prove his value to the overall defensive scheme.
This defense is ready. If Kirk and the offense get up to speed quickly the brutal start could be made easier.