Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not for everyone
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

@"MaroonBells" said:
Wow, what a fascinating read. I had never heard any of those takes before. 

Love this: Robert Smith, Vikings running back: My agent called me on the first lunch break of the first training camp practice and said “How’s Randy look?” And I told him, “I’ve never seen anything like this.” I had a track background, ran in a race against Carl Lewis. I’ve never seen anyone like Randy. I’ve never seen anyone as smooth. I told my agent after that first practice that if he stayed healthy, he’d be in the Hall of Fame.

That's what I remember after watching Randy's Marshall stuff. I've said this a million times, but it wasn't his size or speed that stood out to me as much as his fluidity. He glided like a magnet train. 
In the summer of 1998 Dan Hildredth ran the Viking Underground website. I remember him writing about a young, lanky and very fluid rookie WR...He'd never seen anything like it -- was downright giddy. 

The years go fast...
Viking Underground - 20 years ago... ?
IIRC my very uncreative avatar name was 'Jeff Seiman' cuz I always liked his steady play as a kid. 

Moss was just plain other-worldly.
He changed everything, including The NFL.  Too bad he was here during the Red McComb era.  Oh, what could have been.

I got Viking Update in the mail long before The Internet and manually tracked Ricky Young's stats on lined paper with pencil.

Now, I still consider this board to be the true and rightful descendant of the original fanzine and nascent websites. Others would undoubtedly disagree, but this board feels more like home than the others.  I still see a few names I recognize scattered across the fan boards.  Purple Thoughts was part of that lineage as well as Mr C.O.D. for a brief time.

What an evolution its been.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

@"MaroonBells" said:

Love this: Robert Smith, Vikings running back: My agent called me on the first lunch break of the first training camp practice and said “How’s Randy look?” And I told him, “I’ve never seen anything like this.” I had a track background, ran in a race against Carl Lewis. I’ve never seen anyone like Randy. I’ve never seen anyone as smooth. I told my agent after that first practice that if he stayed healthy, he’d be in the Hall of Fame.

That's what I remember after watching Randy's Marshall stuff. I've said this a million times, but it wasn't his size or speed that stood out to me as much as his fluidity. He glided like a magnet train. 
In the summer of 1998 Dan Hildredth ran the Viking Underground website. I remember him writing about a young, lanky and very fluid rookie WR...He'd never seen anything like it -- was downright giddy. 

The years go fast...
Yep, I remember Dan. I was on that site. But as a draft junky I knew about all about Randy Moss, the troubled receiver from Marshall. In fact, I still remember, the first post I ever started on that site was "If Randy Moss falls do you take him?" :-)

Maybe it's bromanticism, but my love and admiration for Randy the player has grown over time, not waned. He's on my Mt Rushmore now and wasnt before for character reasons.

Dare I say he defined the Vikings in a way for his era in the same way Page or Tark did in the 70's?

I think you can absolutely say that about Moss defining his Vikings era. Unfortunately, his era here was too short.

Also great point about appreciation for Moss growing - and I think most fans share that. He's been nothing but an intelligent and entertaining celebrity post-football, who respects the game and the Vikings. That's pretty impressive considering how he was seen as a thug by many people, largely tracing back to his high school and college problems.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
I am too young to remember the 70s losses.  But as to 98, 09 and last year, we were damn good in each year, but had weaknesses.  I think last year we were the most complete, but were weak at QB and RB.  Losing starters will do that to a team.  98, Randle was on one leg and Cunningham wasn't a smart QB.  09 was a very good team, could have been our best shot as Indy was rather weak in the AFC that year.  But Favre had a tendency to force stupid throws, Adrian fumbled too much and the Saints were dirty. 

I'm not going to say the league fixes all games, but...the NFL pushed their "Saints revitalizing New Orleans after Katrina" storyline all through that season, and the refs blatantly protected them in the playoffs. 

@"MaroonBells" said:

The years go fast...
Yep, I was on that site. Cannot remember for the life of me what my username was. 

Quote: @"kahsmick" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

@"MaroonBells" said:

The years go fast...
IIRC my very uncreative avatar name was 'Jeff Seiman' cuz I always liked his steady play as a kid. 

He changed everything, including The NFL.  Too bad he was here during the Red McComb era.  Oh, what could have been.

I got Viking Update in the mail long before The Internet and manually tracked Ricky Young's stats on lined paper with pencil.

Now, I still consider this board to be the true and rightful descendant of the original fanzine and nascent websites. Others would undoubtedly disagree, but this board feels more like home than the others.  I still see a few names I recognize scattered across the fan boards.  Purple Thoughts was part of that lineage as well as Mr C.O.D. for a brief time.

I had a letter published that I sent into Viking Update when I was like 14 years old. It was right after the Vikings got NT Charlie Johnson from the Eagles. So stoked! 

@"purplefaithful" said:

@"MaroonBells" said:

The years go fast...

Yup.  The old email list servers with that heritage satisfied my insatiable demand for Viking information as I graduated from college and moved out of the area.  I don't remember many names, even my own at that time.  Maybe Gangrene as that was my fantasy football name back in the day.

Man, I loved those Viking Update magazines, especially down here in South Carolina. Viking Updates and Sunday Ticket......good times.

Quote: @"SouthCarolinaViking" said:
@"kahsmick" said:

Man, I loved those Viking Update magazines, especially down here in South Carolina. Viking Updates and Sunday Ticket......good times.
First one I ever got had Joe Senser on the cover. It was called Viking Report early on if I remember right. In those days, when NFL transactions could only be found in the small type galleys of the sports page, it was a godsend. When it came in the mail it was like Christmas morning for me. I'd read each one cover to cover. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:

I'm not going to say the league fixes all games, but...the NFL pushed their "Saints revitalizing New Orleans after Katrina" storyline all through that season, and the refs blatantly protected them in the playoffs. 
They definitely love a good "story".  Or a story line.  Like Rodgers miraculous comebacks in GB. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Yep, I remember Dan. I was on that site. But as a draft junky I knew about all about Randy Moss, the troubled receiver from Marshall. In fact, I still remember, the first post I ever started on that site was "If Randy Moss falls do you take him?" :-)
Maroon, I not only remember that post, I remember replies were largely negative and related to 'character concerns'.  Lol.

Wouldn't it be fun to pull a few of those old threads out of the wayback machine?

@"MaroonBells" said:
Maroon, I not only remember that post, I remember replies were largely negative and related to 'character concerns'.  Lol.

Wouldn't it be fun to pull a few of those old threads out of the wayback machine?
Wow, seems a few of us made it through the last 20 years of board evolution. What's funny is that last year I went to a tailgate with Jimmy and Mike, etc and ran into a lot of those guys from the VU days. Turns out they sometimes tailgate together. Man, that was weird.