Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings keeping contract drama to a minimum
With the beginning of mandatory minicamps around the NFL, star players are sitting out in hopes of gaining leverage toward a new contract.
Seattle safety Earl Thomas, Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald and Oakland pass rusher Khalil Mack were among the no-shows to begin the week.

In Minnesota, all three star players without contracts for 2019 were on the field at TCO Performance Center for the beginning of minicamp on Tuesday.
Stefon Diggs, Danielle Hunter and Anthony Barr all practiced in full.
Head coach Mike Zimmer talked about his players’ decision to hit the field.
“For one thing, all these guys, they like to be around each other,” Zimmer said. “So, I think that’s part of it. We’ve got a lot of really good guys on this football team that care about not just them, but they care about each other. It’s kind of just the way we do things.”
All three players have spent their entire careers under Zimmer. They have also seen the team spent $84 million on quarterback Kirk Cousins and sign drafted players Xavier Rhodes, Everson Griffen, Linval Joseph and Eric Kendricks to long-term deals over the last two years.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...a-minimum/

All three  know  the  best way to get paid is perform and win   either  her or else were I think they all three  perFer to stay  they see what she being built we r the NFL patriots going forward   I beleive

Eventually you have to let some go via release or trade, other wise you wont be able to afford them all and if you do, the depth talent will be very weak, and the team will be REALLY OLD in a few short years

im proud of them all for showing up, even though its on their contract it speaks of strong team skills snd good charachter

I dont think the team would react well to players under contract not showing up for mandatory functions.  I am sure none of them want to actually hit FA,  they would much rather stay on the team and get paid crazy bank and none are really at the super star level that would get away unscathed from a showy absence.

I think it's pretty clear that we might not be able to keep all of them.  I'd guess that there's some pressure going on where anyone who steps too far out of line or is asking too much gets pushed to the back of the line for getting resigned.  I think any other place they could sign with will probably be a downgrade from here.

It's not like any of these guys is Aaron Donald or anything that can just name their price.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think it's pretty clear that we might not be able to keep all of them.  I'd guess that there's some pressure going on where anyone who steps too far out of line or is asking too much gets pushed to the back of the line for getting resigned.  I think any other place they could sign with will probably be a downgrade from here.

It's not like any of these guys is Aaron Donald or anything that can just name their price.
I think you are correct. I believe it will be hard to keep all them. I believe they know this as well. I also believe that they all like where they are with the direction their team is going. So all that adds up to. Do you want to be the one that's a no-show?  We have an answer there too.