Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After missing out on Mychal Kendricks, will Vikings consider other remaining free agents?
It came as somewhat of a surprise last Wednesday when the Minnesota Vikings hosted free agent linebacker Mychal Kendricks.
The Vikings are set at linebacker with the same linebackers – Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr – they have had for the last three seasons. However, with a report from KSTP-TV’s Darren Wolfson that the Vikings had other plans in mind than just using Mychal Kendricks as a base-package linebacker (that would get only around 25 percent of snaps).

Kendricks signed with Cleveland on Sunday, but the fact that the Vikings would consider using him in a unique fashion might be an indicator that the Vikings would look at other available free agents as they head into mandatory minicamp and training camp. There are still a handful of quality free agents on the market that the Vikings could plausibly look into…

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...ee-agents/

I don't see it as a surprise though. He was out for a money grab and he wasn't going to get it here. It will be interesting to see what they do. 

Hate to say it, but we don't need another shorty at LB!  I did not really want him.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I don't see it as a surprise though. He was out for a money grab and he wasn't going to get it here. It will be interesting to see what they do. 
I thought I saw that he can make “up to” $3.5M with Cleveland. That’s not much of a money grab. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
@Vikergirl said:
I thought I saw that he can make “up to” $3.5M with Cleveland. That’s not much of a money grab. 
You take what you can get. Nothing wrong with 3.5 million. Also isn't he going to be a starter in Cleveland? Maybe he is thinking by putting in a good year he can get a better deal.

He's going for his next contract, not this one. He'll play more in Cleveland and be able to showcase himself best there. But interest was lukewarm at best for him and that one year contract he signed was paltry really. 

It's really interesting that the Vikings seemed to want Mychal so they could use Barr differently. Could it be that his contract negotiations are running into issues like, "I want to get more sacks", and so they are offering to give him a more defined pass rush role, to keep him from defecting to a 3-4 team?