Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of my bigger "if only if's" as a Viking fan lately...
I think Sam Bradford when healthy had so much damn promise.

God, he threw a pretty ball. Maybe the best of seen since Pepp and Moon.

Elite arm talent and accuracy. Its what made him the #1 overall pick in the Draft. He was also tough as nails the first year he played in Minnesota, best of his career from that aspect.

Great arm awful knee. That's the Sam Bradford story. Even though he didn't create it. That was a terrible trade in hindsight. Hindsight being they had it right that Teddy would not be ready for 2 years and we couldn't wait. Bad that his only healthy year with us nobody else was. We are hopefully in a good place now with a guy who has a good arm and stats to prove it. Without the troublesome injury issues or history of them.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
Great arm awful knee. That's the Sam Bradford story. Even though he didn't create it. That was a terrible trade in hindsight. Hindsight being they had it right that Teddy would not be ready for 2 years and we couldn't wait. Bad that his only healthy year with us nobody else was. We are hopefully in a good place now with a guy who has a good arm and stats to prove it. Without the troublesome injury issues or history of them.
First part, yes.  That knee.
Also, with 20/20 hindsight, I don't think it was a terrible trade at the time at all.  Rick did what he had to do.  If Sam's knee had held up, we would have taken a different fork in the road.

Let's see how this season holds up, with our three former starting QBs in other camps, before judging.

Yah, 

RS pivoted fast when their franchise potential QB's leg damn near fell off below the knee a week before the season started...They felt that they had a SB contending team - tried to save it all under extreme duress. I still applaud them for trying - that was awful for Teddy, fans and the entire Viking org. 

UGH

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
Also, with 20/20 hindsight, I don't think it was a terrible trade at the time at all.  Rick did what he had to do.  If Sam's knee had held up, we would have taken a different fork in the road.

Let's see how this season holds up, with our three former starting QBs in other camps, before judging.
I think in hindsight it was a terrible trade. I agree it was necessary at the time it was done. For the reason you stated. "Had to". At the time I applauded it. If we had known what the team was destined for.  Losing  8 of the remaining 11 that season and then get only 1 1/2 games from Sam after. Would giving up a 1st round pick + 4th be worth it? That's the thing about hindsight you're never going to be wrong if you know the outcome.
Secondly , what does Sam's season this year have to do  with if it was a bad trade? Do we get picks back from the Eagles if he does well? Or the other 2 either. What are we going to judge? He's gone and if he has a good year it doesn't matter. 
The Eagles used our 1 and 4 and we got nothing to show for it. Do I wish Sam had stayed healthy? Yes.  Do I  like hearing those who enjoy saying, "told you so, he can't stay healthy"? No. Because I was all for the trade at the time. However they were right. In hindsight. The thing I will never agree with from some of those very same. You're wrong Sam's got heart. Alas he's also got a terrible knee.

@"Montana Tom" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

I think in hindsight it was a terrible trade. I agree it was necessary at the time it was done. For the reason you stated. "Had to". At the time I applauded it. If we had known what the team was destined for.  Losing  8 of the remaining 11 that season and then get only 1 1/2 games from Sam after. Would giving up a 1st round pick + 4th be worth it? That's the thing about hindsight you're never going to be wrong if you know the outcome.
Secondly , what does Sam's season this year have to do  with if it was a bad trade? Do we get picks back from the Eagles if he does well? Or the other 2 either. What are we going to judge? He's gone and if he has a good year it doesn't matter. 
The Eagles used our 1 and 4 and we got nothing to show for it. Do I wish Sam had stayed healthy? Yes.  Do I  like hearing those who enjoy saying, "told you so, he can't stay healthy"? No. Because I was all for the trade at the time. However they were right. In hindsight. The thing I will never agree with from some of those very same. You're wrong Sam's got heart. Alas he's also got a terrible knee.

If Bradford plays well enough this season the Vikings could get a third round comp pick.  Hopefully all three of the guys they let go play well.

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

If Bradford plays well enough this season the Vikings could get a third round comp pick.  Hopefully all three of the guys they let go play well.
I don't know how comp picks work. Doesn't signing Cousins cancel out Bradford? I think we get picks for the other 2. I'm going to stop here and let someone else who hopefully understands this screwed up system. 

@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

I don't know how comp picks work. Doesn't signing Cousins cancel out Bradford? I think we get picks for the other 2. I'm going to stop here and let someone else who hopefully understands this screwed up system. 
Cousins cancels Bradford, but we get a 3rd for Keenum. A 6th for Bridgewater and three 7ths for Brock, Stephen and Johnson...at least according to OTC, who seem to have the system cracked. I thought I read where Teddy's performance could bump the 6th round comp pick, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Here's their chart. 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draf...ion-chart/

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

Cousins cancels Bradford, but we get a 3rd for Keenum. A 6th for Bridgewater and three 7ths for Brock, Stephen and Johnson...at least according to OTC, who seem to have the system cracked. I thought I read where Teddy's performance could bump the 6th round comp pick, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Here's their chart. 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draf...ion-chart/
In comes down to how much money they are making essentially. Teddy has an incentive laden deal and if he does really well it could probably move up to 5th or 4th even maybe.