Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On paper, the 2018 Vikings should be better than the 17 version...
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@suncoastvike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
Without a doubt. On paper, this is the best team the Vikings have ever had. Now, if we only played the games on paper. Let's look at the best ever, by units...

QB - I don't know who it is, but it isn't Cousins
Agreed, not yet anyways...I'd have to go with Fran on this one. A long time ago
RB - The Peterson years, but Dalvin has the talent to make us forget all about him
Yup AP without a doubt
WR/TE - '98, but '18 is 2nd. 
3 Deep in 98 was amazing. I'm going to put Rashad and White ahead of Thielen and Diggs for now
OL - I'm gonna go with the early 90s version with Zimmerman playing next to McDaniel. The OL is the weak spot on this team. 
Like that early 90's line too. Gotta go with 98 as #1 though. 
DL - 18 is in the conversation, but that's a tough call between the Page years, the Millard Doleman years, the Randle years and this year. 
Close, close call. I'm going with PPE's over Millard/Doleman/Noga/Thomas 
LB - 18 with a strong argument from Matt Blair's group
Well said...
DB - 18 easy
Yup, we haven't sniffed a DB crew like Zimmer has assembled since PPE years and I'm not sure even they were as good as we have now. 

I will just inject here. We look to have a very good team for THIS year. I believe people get years and eras confused. Since the installation of a salary cap great eras really only mean a great QB now. Sadly NFL rules changes have also worked to enforce this. I'm not certain that Kirk is great enough for that. 
To the the last point: DB/S  purplefaithful,  while I love what Zimmer has gotten out of them. The 2 best on this team Smith and Rhodes were both drafted before Zim. His assembly has been less impressive...so far.
Waynes is solid, Mac and the kid from this year? Lots of chapters still to be written. I'm not sure Dirty Harry and XR would be as polished as they are today without Grey and Zimsu. We're in agreement there. 

We'd have to go back to maybe Carl Lee/Browner days since we've had a decent backfield. 
Always thought Carl Lee was overrated. Made three Pro Bowls, but he had what might have been our best pass rushing DL in front of him. I think that made him look better than he was.

As you mentioned above, it's a close call, but I honestly don't remember a more dominant DL than the one we had then. Doleman had 21 sacks. Millard had 18. Hank had 9 and Noga 11. Those are just INSANE numbers. For comparison, Vikings 2017 starting DL had just 25.5 sacks between them. 
Floyd Peters...A man among men. 

I hear yah. Millard is one of my favorite Vikings of all time, behind Page. I look at longevity of that PPE group and 4 sb's. Burnsie had some great D's, that Montana torched. 

Siemon, Blair, McNeil is pretty hard to top...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@suncoastvike said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
Without a doubt. On paper, this is the best team the Vikings have ever had. Now, if we only played the games on paper. Let's look at the best ever, by units...

QB - I don't know who it is, but it isn't Cousins
Agreed, not yet anyways...I'd have to go with Fran on this one. A long time ago
RB - The Peterson years, but Dalvin has the talent to make us forget all about him
Yup AP without a doubt
WR/TE - '98, but '18 is 2nd. 
3 Deep in 98 was amazing. I'm going to put Rashad and White ahead of Thielen and Diggs for now
OL - I'm gonna go with the early 90s version with Zimmerman playing next to McDaniel. The OL is the weak spot on this team. 
Like that early 90's line too. Gotta go with 98 as #1 though. 
DL - 18 is in the conversation, but that's a tough call between the Page years, the Millard Doleman years, the Randle years and this year. 
Close, close call. I'm going with PPE's over Millard/Doleman/Noga/Thomas 
LB - 18 with a strong argument from Matt Blair's group
Well said...
DB - 18 easy
Yup, we haven't sniffed a DB crew like Zimmer has assembled since PPE years and I'm not sure even they were as good as we have now. 

I will just inject here. We look to have a very good team for THIS year. I believe people get years and eras confused. Since the installation of a salary cap great eras really only mean a great QB now. Sadly NFL rules changes have also worked to enforce this. I'm not certain that Kirk is great enough for that. 
To the the last point: DB/S  purplefaithful,  while I love what Zimmer has gotten out of them. The 2 best on this team Smith and Rhodes were both drafted before Zim. His assembly has been less impressive...so far.
Waynes is solid, Mac and the kid from this year? Lots of chapters still to be written. I'm not sure Dirty Harry and XR would be as polished as they are today without Grey and Zimsu. We're in agreement there. 

We'd have to go back to maybe Carl Lee/Browner days since we've had a decent backfield. 
Always thought Carl Lee was overrated. Made three Pro Bowls, but he had what might have been our best pass rushing DL in front of him. I think that made him look better than he was.

As you mentioned above, it's a close call, but I honestly don't remember a more dominant DL than the one we had then. Doleman had 21 sacks. Millard had 18. Hank had 9 and Noga 11. Those are just INSANE numbers. For comparison, Vikings 2017 starting DL had just 25.5 sacks between them. 
Team sack totals from the 1980's are skewed. Then they used the "in the grasp rule" guys were literally gets sacks for pulling the QB's socks down. In 1991 the league adopted "grasp and control"  Doleman, Gastineau and Reggie White were racking up totals. These individual records have been surpassed since however team totals have not. The Bears set it at 72 in 1984 we came close at 71 in 1989. Only one team in the last 15 years has over over 60 the 2006 Chargers. The rules have been changed so much to help the passing game we may never see 70 again. Not to say those 1980's fronts then weren't great. Just don't think you can use sacks as a fair comparison.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Siemon, Blair, McNeil is pretty hard to top...
Freddie had a tough life end too. RIP.