Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aviante Collins
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@twgerber said:
Why is Isidora at LG better than Easton at LG?    Isidora has never played LG has he?

Isidora:

Plays with an excessively wide base causing him to get jostled off-balance by power. Issues holding up to power showed up at the Senior Bowl practices. Had to fight overtime to maintain his positioning. More stalemater than block winner. Has some wasted motion in his movements in space. Needs to work feet into position for better block security. Can be frenetic up to second level. Allows momentum to carry him beyond his target at times.BOTTOM LINE
 Isidora is an athletic guard with good size and above-average hands who plays with a base that can get too wide. He has the lateral quickness to be a fit for teams looking to get their guards out in space, but his issues anchoring against bull-rushes at Senior Bowl were a concern. Isidora has enough talent to become a starter, but his issues holding up against power could derail those plans if he doesn't address them.

From last offseason:
He’ll be a name worth keeping an eye on through the preseason. Isidora played right guard for almost the entirety of his college career in Coral Gables. Joe Berger has been one of the Vikings best offensive linemen over the past few years and figures to be the team’s starting RG. Berger is also 35 years old and in the twilight of his career.
Isidora can go a long way towards staking a claim to be the team’s future at right guard with some solid performances in August. 

So to me it seems Isidora is strictly a RG.  Is that correct?

I get that, but isn't Remmers more likely to go to RG? He didn't look good at LG late last year, and presumably he would be a nice veteran presence next to a younger RT. But you may be right. If Isadora and Collins both impress enough to win starting jobs, is Remmers going to stay as a backup?

Quote: @StickyBun said:

I think there will be an all-out camp/preseason competition for starting RG and RT. I think Reiff-Easton-Elflein are in stone. Remmers will take one of those two spots most likely, just don't know which one yet considering how the competition shakes out. If Remmers ends up starting at RG, IMO that's great news because its obvious that's where the team sees him being the best benefit and most effective and it also means another player stood up well enough for them to trust him at RT. We'll see.

You are probably right, but in some ways, wouldn't Easton be more valuable as a multipurpose backup, like Berger has been for a few years? I see a lot of OL on this squad who can play OG and/or OT, but are anyone besides Elflein and Easton experienced at Center?

Easton is most likely the backup for Elflein at C regardless. If he has a regular starting role (LG), then if Elflein is out, you move him over and need to find someone else to play LG. That feels like more interruption than dropping Elflein in at LG, C, or RG if needed. I know it's hard to sell a player on the idea of being "super sub" instead of a full-time starter, but it worked well with Berger...

Easton was just tendered by Minnesota as a RFA for a 2nd rounder: I think the Vikings view him as starting material. Easton is playing the easiest position on the offensive line, if Elf is injured, they can move him to center and put another guy in at LG and the impact should be the least of any position on the line. But having said that, when Easton went out with injury, the line took a step back. He's underrated....Isadora is the dude that is overrated on this forum. 

We go with 10 OL

Starters:
Reiff-Easton-Elf-Compton-Remmers

Back Ups:
ONeill-Collins-Andrews-Isodora-Hill

Practice Squad:
Gossett, Lang

Quote: @Skodin said:
We go with 10 OL

Starters:

Back Ups:

Practice Squad:
Gossett, Lang
I dont know who will play where,   I honestly expect 1 of Hill, Collins, and Isidora to crack the starting lineup this year,  but I expect that we will be keeping an extra OL this year in place of Marcus Sherels as I think we will have Hughes and a WR prospect that will make the rosters as the primary returners.

Quote: @Skodin said:
We go with 10 OL

Starters:

OBack Ups:

Practice Squad:
Gossett, Lang
If Gossett shows well in camp, they won't be able to get him to the practice squad. A veteran will need to be cut. 

Exactly right. Easton is criminally underrated on this board. We're talking about a guy who was undrafted but tendered as a 2nd rounder. You don't do that for a backup. 

Someone mentioned last week that if we don't have to burn a roster spot for Sherels, we can maybe keep 10 on the line. If that's the case, I see it like this:

LT: Reiff, Collins
LG: Easton, Compton or Andrews
C: Elflein, Easton
RG: Remmers, Isadora, Gossett
RT: Hill, Collins, O'Neill

The Hill/Collins and Remmers/Isadora competitions will be real battles. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Exactly right. Easton is criminally underrated on this board. We're talking about a guy who was undrafted but tendered as a 2nd rounder. You don't do that for a backup. 

Someone mentioned last week that if we don't have to burn a roster spot for Sherels, we can maybe keep 10 on the line. If that's the case, I see it like this:

LT: Reiff, Collins
LG: Easton, Compton or Andrews
C: Elflein, Easton
RG: Remmers, Isadora, Gossett
RT: Hill, Collins, O'Neill

The Hill/Collins and Remmers/Isadora competitions will be real battles. 
I think we'd have to see a massive upgrade out of Hill, Collins, or O'Neill to see Remmers get pushed inside.  I know they'd like to have Remmers inside, but that's a pretty cringy RT situation.

Collins played in the jumbo package quite a bit last year.  Is he ready to be RT of the future? I hope so.