Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am “Confident” ESPN has no “Hope”
Not disagreeing with the analysis, but optimism ratings ?
Maybe it was that or Emoticons...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32f...ree-agency  

[Image: min.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true]Minnesota VikingsMinnesota was aggressive in free agency, landing a potential franchise quarterback in Kirk Cousins and filling a major hole with Sheldon Richardson. It also got better across the board on defense in the draft, from first-round corner Mike Hughes to defensive linemen Jalyn Holmes and Ade Aruna. The Vikings are very much in a win-now Super Bowl window. It could go wrong if their O-line strategy doesn't pan out. They didn't draft a starting-caliber right guard, so finding the right combination to protect Cousins will be the storyline to watch in training camp. But if they do that and get good contributions from their offensive rookies, the Vikings will be in good shape for another playoff run. -- Courtney Cronin

Im so sick of the "win now window" mantra.  I've been hearing that crap for 20+ years.

You draft well, spend wisely, and coach well and the window stays open, ask New England, Pitt, Green Bay.

As key as a top QB is tis franchise has managed to go to NFCC with at least 7 different QB's over the years by having a good team around them.  I expect them to continue to compete for the foreseeable future.

Quote: @"NodakViking" said:
  Im so sick of the "win now window" mantra.  I've been hearing that crap for 20+ years.

You draft well, spend wisely, and coach well and the window stays open, ask New England, Pitt, Green Bay.

As key as a top QB is tis franchise has managed to go to NFCC with at least 7 different QB's over the years by having a good team around them.  I expect them to continue to compete for the foreseeable future.
I agree,  some are saying rick screwed up because he isnt going all in on this year with some of our guys getting up in years.... IMO going all in on this years draft would have been the mistake.  Its Ricks jobs to make sure that this team is viable now and into the future,  selling out future teams for the now is just a sound recipe for future ineptitude.  his current approach has built a pretty damn good football team,  I say keep doing what he's doing until it doesnt yield results.

I also agree.  I'm looking for them to build a dynasty, not a flash in the pan.  

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"NodakViking" said:

I agree,  some are saying rick screwed up because he isnt going all in on this year with some of our guys getting up in years.... IMO going all in on this years draft would have been the mistake.  Its Ricks jobs to make sure that this team is viable now and into the future,  selling out future teams for the now is just a sound recipe for future ineptitude.  his current approach has built a pretty damn good football team,  I say keep doing what he's doing until it doesnt yield results.
This is the Redskin way, we have seen over and over how well this recipe works. 

I am a Spielman fan, think he's doing a pretty good job with how he, and others of course, have built this team to sustain success.

NFL.com ranks Vikings at #5.

Weird breakdown of the teams. So he raves about the Rams addition of Cooks, Suh and Peters, but doesn't even mention the Vikings adding Cousins and Richardson. Then I read the header and intro and realize it's a post "draft" ranking. Oh! I guess that explains why no mention of the Vikings free agency additions. But if that's the case, how do the Rams go from 6th pre-draft to 2nd post-draft, despite not having a pick in the top 88? Pinhead. 

Yeah, the "win now" thing gets kinda used up.  Yes, the Vikings are coming off of a huge season and just made some monster moves in FA...but while Richardson is only for a season, Cousins is in for the next 1000+ days and will (hopefully) be that long-term QB that we can build rosters (and rings) with.

Every season comes down to combinations of coaching, roster qualities, individual efforts, health/injuries, and all the behind-the-scenes work.  1 team per season gets it all the way right.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
NFL.com ranks Vikings at #5.

Weird breakdown of the teams. So he raves about the Rams addition of Cooks, Suh and Peters, but doesn't even mention the Vikings adding Cousins and Richardson. Then I read the header and intro and realize it's a post "draft" ranking. Oh! I guess that explains why no mention of the Vikings free agency additions. But if that's the case, how do the Rams go from 6th pre-draft to 2nd post-draft, despite not having a pick in the top 88? Pinhead. 
Of all the "Rank" guys, Harrison usually is the most sensible.  But yes, a post draft ranking that talks zero about their draft picks while moving them up? 

Honestly, I think the rams are getting some artificial pimping by the NFL.  They are trying to make that team popular to sell the PSLs and drum up interest from the ho-hum fans.