Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings draft class figures to need time before they become contributors
Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"Poiple" said:
@"minny65" said:
Another year of continuity for potentially 4 of our 5 starting OL is usually a big plus from year to year.  The Communication along the OL blocking schemes is probably the most difficult in the game.  Another year of experience from Elflein calling the formations and adjustments along with a second year of Easton next to Reiff are all hope for overall improvement without even adding/knowing who is going to step up in Berger's role. 

We have a ton of competition for the RG spot with Isadora, draft pick and two vets all vying in a crowded field that we all hope someone clearly emerges as the answer.  

We also now have depth at the Tackle positions with Hill and O'Neil. 

We have a talented and deep roster.  No doubt that the OL shuffle last playoffs were not good at all.  Hill was bad at RT in both the win and the loss.  But in the past spot duty he looked pretty good at LT albeit not against playoff caliber.  So maybe Spelly views O'Neil as the depth we didn't have at RT and Hill at LT.  Hill gave up the most pressures in the playoffs in two games at RT.  Isadora must not have been a better LG backup to us moving Remmers there but I only saw adequate play from Remmers at LG after a good season at RT.   

After all the talk of shuffling Remmers and finding a RT I think we are going to end up with the same 4 starters playing where they played and a new RG.  That continuity is a very good thing for an OL that took a big step up last year to slightly above average IMO from bottom 5 the years before.   
You are right of course about continuity.  I hope they do step it up.  If they can then they stand a chance of repeating last seasons performance.  The problem is that they are still the same guys and may be playing at their peak already.  I think we all look forward to seeing which version we are getting.
For vets like our Tackles we might have seen their best last year and I was happy with both.  For second year starters like Easton and Elflein I expect a lot better in terms of play mostly because of communication/repetition/continuity as mentioned above.  

Even Remmers at Tackle improved as the year went on IMO.  Early last year I noticed some missed communication on blocking between Remmers and the TE's in terms of blocking on twists etc.  Most of the time it makes the RT look really bad but it is not always on them.  So again, the communication can improve which equals better pickups.

The communication between the tackles to Guards - specifically with Hill at RT was very bad - some posters mention just how bad Hill was against the Eagles but he was abused by Hayward (Saints) in our miracle win.  I rewatched the second half last week and he was a turnstile.  Case was the most pressured QB in the playoffs.  The forced OL shuffle, due to injuries, was not effective and was a big reason we lost so handily to the Eagles and if not for Diggs would have been a big part of the blame for against the Saints.  
we have had poor communication on the right side of our line for quite a while,  not saying it was Berger,  but hopefully they can get that fixed and soon.
A lot of poor pick-ups/communication between Remmers and the TE's as well.  Then saw it with Hill in the playoffs with both G and TE's.  I thought Remmers communication improved as the year went on and I am all for keeping him at RT with another year to improve in that area along with the TE's and RG's - it's on them as well.  
the rights side screw ups go back longer than last year,  the lack of communication from C to the right has been an issue for a few years IIRC.  (I cant remember who was playing where,  but its been and issue of note)

loadholt and Cook before him

Quote: @"Poiple" said:
loadholt and Cook before him
I was thinking the communication between G and C and G and T,  load and cook have been gone for a while.   was it Harris or Berger that took over at RG when Fusco got hurt 3 years ago and then 2 years ago when he was moved to LG?  I am thinking it was Berger that I was suspect of when I noticed a fair amount of WTF moments in blocking.