Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hernandez Link To Vikings Will Not Die
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Well let's not overrate the arm length either. Joe Thomas had 32 inch arms and he played left tackle. So did Jake, um, Long. DJ Fluker might have the record for longest arms and he was an all out bust...even as a guard, where arm length is less important. Both Pounceys, DeCastro just over 32. Justin Pugh 32. Reiff, a left tackle, has 33 inch arms, as does Bulaga...We'll see how Forrest Lamp does with his 32 inch arms. 

I get why you want your OLs to have long arms, but this might be one of the more overrated factors in the draft. 
The HOF is full of players whose measurables didnt fit the prototypical "X".   Show me the film and that should speak volumes.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Well let's not overrate the arm length either. Joe Thomas had 32 inch arms and he played left tackle. So did Jake, um, Long. DJ Fluker might have the record for longest arms and he was an all out bust...even as a guard, where arm length is less important. Both Pounceys, DeCastro just over 32. Justin Pugh 32. Reiff, a left tackle, has 33 inch arms, as does Bulaga...We'll see how Forrest Lamp does with his 32 inch arms. 

I get why you want your OLs to have long arms, but this might be one of the more overrated factors in the draft. 
The HOF is full of players whose measurables didnt fit the prototypical "X".   Show me the film and that should speak volumes.
With that in mind, I think one of the more underrated players is Orlando Brown. Not sure this massive man is a fit for what we want to do, but that horrible combine could give someone a huge steal if he drops into the 2nd or 3rd round. You might measure his forty with a sundial, but this brick wall of a human can block out the sun. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

With that in mind, I think one of the more underrated players is Orlando Brown. Not sure this massive man is a fit for what we want to do, but that horrible combine could give someone a huge steal if he drops into the 2nd or 3rd round. You might measure his forty with a sundial, but this brick wall of a human can block out the sun. 
T Sizzle had pretty pedestrian combine and pro day numbers...he has fared ok...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

T Sizzle had pretty pedestrian combine and pro day numbers...he has fared ok...
I remember that well. That was the year of the DL. 8 DLs went in the top 15. Most of them were busts, too: Jimmy Kennedy, DeWayne Robertson, Johnathan Sullivan, Jerome McDougal, Michael Haynes. Also the year we passed on our pick. Twice. And still ended up with Kevin Williams. Man, look at all the busts in this first round: http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2003

Also the year of Rien Long. Wasn't there some draft guru who thought he should be top 10 pick? Ended up going in the 4th...and eventually in the Arena league. 

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@prairieghost said:
I don't know about you guys, but I sure don't want to see Trevor Siemian anywhere but on the sidelines holding a clipboard this season. I'd say in light of the 84 million dollar investment that was just made, it would seem prudent to select an OL with the first pick to protect said investment.
Just ask the Packers how bad it sucks to start a backup for the bulk of the season... 
Why not just ask the Vikings.

Good point...
I think we're all so used to the carousel that we don't allow ourselves to use it as an excuse like, say, the Packers do Big Grin
Funny, cuz that was my thought as well.  We made the NFCCG with a backup.

But I get your point and like the thought of building a dominant O-line.  Then our offense can do whatever the heck it wants.  Run, pass, grind out the clock or run up the score. 

I don't get the thought of moving Elf from center tho.  IMO he was the offensive MVP last year.  Our offense suffered mightily when he was out. 

You're right that you can't put all your eggs in the measurable basket. I'm not really suggesting that Hernandez won't be good because he has 32" arms. But I do think it might give some teams who focus on measurable's/analytics some hesitancy. The Vikings fall into that bucket.