Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Vikings draft a punter?
Vikings interest in Marquette King (who signed with the Broncos) clearly indicates an interest in upgrading there. I'm not a big advocate of drafting kickers and punters. It's rare that using a draft pick on a K or P proves worthwhile. Even King himself was undrafted. 

That said, there's a big time punter in this year's draft. Michael Dickson from Texas. PFF calls him "the Aaron Donald of punters." 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/dr...aordinaire

The interest they had in King was completely overblown. They're happy with Quigley. 

no way would I waste a draft pick on a punter.  I still think a big legged/accurate place kicker is worth a late draft pick,  but never a punter.

no

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
no way would I waste a draft pick on a punter.  I still think a big legged/accurate place kicker is worth a late draft pick,  but never a punter.
Exactly.  That was one of the worst draft picks ever when they selected Jeff Locke!

They rather have had him than Micah Hyde (for example).

What did the Patriots do that year?  They also picked up a left footed punter.

But they signed him as an un-drafted free agent.

Who was he?

Ryan Allen.  He had won the Ray Guy award the previous two years.

Why the Vikings did not select this punter instead is a mystery?

I mean, I guess the people who vote on these things just do it by popularity or something.

I am hoping these idiots learn from their last mistake and don't EVER draft a STINKIN PUNTER!

Jeff locke is enough of a reminder never to attempt again.

If there was ever a time to draft a kicker or punter it was last year with our 4 7th round picks and two top prospects available to us.

I'm a fan of drafting kicker or punters late.  7th round draft picks are just camp fodder anyways, at least get your choice of rookies.

That said, I think the Vikings prefer to get a steady veteran kicker/punter, rather than getting burnt on a rookie like they did with the last two guys.  I do think getting a young guy makes a lot more sense when you have a solid veteran at the other position to show them how to be a pro.

Last year I wanted to draft Zane Gonzalez late and I'll admit I was slightly bummed when he went to Cleveland instead.  Well, ZG didn't do so hot last year, making only 75% of his FG attempts.  Maybe he'll turn it around, but as of now the Vikings made the right call in passing him over.  IF (and I don't believe we will) go after a kicker this year, for competition, I'm hoping it's Eddie Pineiro out of Florida.  I like that kids fire.  Doesn't hurt that he's got a big leg to go along with it.