Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agent’s Kirk Cousins contract with Vikings trumps Dad’s national championship
Bill McCartney won a national championship as University of Colorado football coach in 1990. He’s more proud of what his son did last week.
Mike McCartney is the agent who negotiated the fully guaranteed three-year, $84 million contract that quarterback Kirk Cousins signed with the Vikings on Thursday. It’s the most lucrative deal in NFL history based on annual income.
“That’s bigger (than the national championship),” Bill McCartney said in a phone interview. “I only had to play those teams one at a time, but he had to play against all this competition. I’m just so proud of him.”
McCartney, 77, coached Colorado from 1982 until retiring after the 1994 season. His teams finished in the top four in the final Associated Press poll in three different seasons, and McCartney was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2013.
McCartney lives in Westminster, Colo., a Denver suburb not far from Colorado campus in Boulder. He was kept up to date by his son during the Cousins negotiations.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/21/ag...mpionship/

McCartney’s family issued a statement in August 2016 that the former coach had “been diagnosed with late-onset dementia/Alzheimers.”
“What I struggle with is dementia,” he said. “I’m pretty healthy. I exercise regularly. I’m up and about. I live alone. My wife (Lyndi) has passed away (in 2013), but my memory is suspect. It’s recall.’’
Having lived in the Denver area for 36 years, McCartney has followed the Broncos closely. He thinks the Vikings got a good deal in their trade for former Broncos  quarterback Trevor Siemian to be Cousins’ backup.
Most of all, though, he liked what his son helped get the Vikings: Cousins.
“You better believe I will,” McCartney said of now following the Vikings. “They’ll become one of my favorites.”