Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpEd: Bar is high but Vikings made right move with Cousins
Kirk Cousins signed his three-year, full-guaranteed, $84 million contract on Thursday, revealing that during Super Bowl week he rented a car to scout Minnesota as a possible new home.
``It checked all the boxes,’’ Cousins said during his introductory press conference.
Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said Cousins earned a rare contract because of his rare situation,  a franchise quarterback hitting free agency while in his prime. ``That’s why this is so unique.’’
Did the Vikings make the right decision?
The bar will be set high. Cousins is taking over a team that went to the NFC title game. But I think they made the right call.
There have been four 4,000-yard passing seasons in Vikings history. Cousins has produced three in the last three seasons.
He arrives in Minnesota with much to prove, but any consternation surrounding his signing should be considered silly.
Is he being overpaid? Yes. That’s the way free agency works. But the Vikings can afford to pay him and keep most if not all of their other quality players, and paying a proven starting quarterback keeps them from investing a top draft pick and years of development on a young quarterback who may not be able to help this team win.
http://www.startribune.com/souhan-bar-is...477007273/

I don’t want to overpraise Cousins. He has to prove he can lead a good team, that he can handle the pressure inflicted upon him by his contract and his new team’s ambition, that he can make the right play at the right time.
But if healthy he will give the Vikings three years of big plays and production. Rarely in recent franchise history have they been able to count on that.

What I like is that unlike most times, where a guy comes in for half a season and does well then gets a big contract in free agency, Cousins has been the guy in DC for a few years already. I like that he’s already been in the fire and in a tough market. I’m not worried about him.

Ive heard the "concern" about the expecations being through the roof and can't wrap my head around what the issue is. I don't understand how we arent anything BUT a serious contender. I dont understand how any "step backwards" should be expected.

We signed this guy to put us over the edge, why are we being baby talked suddenly like we went 4-12 last year and need to calm down? ... like this was a 6 win team thay lucked the hell out... i dont get it. 

jeez thought I was going to read that Anthony popped positive for MJ.