Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cardinals Say Thanks, But No Thanks
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
His heart said what he thought was the right thing, but his head and Agent will ultimately prevail, as they should.

Unlike Bradford, Kirk wasn't drafted Number #1 in an era where there was no Rookie Salary Cap. This may be his only opportunity to sign a big contract.

If it were me, not knowing how long I could play and knowing I will almost undoubtedly have quality of life issues after I retire, I'm going to follow the money. Which probably takes me to the Jets or Broncos.

If Kirk takes 5 million less to come to Minnesota, gets multiple concussions and has to retire early without taking the team all the way, will us fans still be grateful?

Nope. We'll be pissed he wasn't the missing piece. And we won't give a shit that he took less to be a Viking.

That is why the notion of taking less money at this point in his career just to play for a Winner is really a joke. Down the line, after banking a big contract or two ala Bradford is maybe when it starts to make sense to take less. But that time is not now for Cousins.
go to Minnesota for 63 million guaranteed or Cleveland/Jets for 75 guaranteed... you are still going to cleveland?  I know its hard for me to fathom the kind of money these guys are getting paid,  but I can drop a few zeros and put myself in that situation and I can say from experience that location goes a long way towards being happy in life and I think it would take a shit load more for me to be happy working for the browns or the jets than a 15% pay bump.
Cousins isn't going to Cleveland. They will draft a QB at Number 1 or number 4. They are not one player away from being a contender. It makes no sense for them and Cousins would never consider it. The Jets are the only real contender here if you strictly look at Cap Room. They are at $73 Million, Vikes are at $49 Million, and the Bronco's are at $26 Million. With a talented QB draft, both the Jets and Broncos are in perfect position to draft their future signal caller and not spend the money on Cousins. The Jets have certainly indicated their love affair with Cousins and say they are all in, but a lot of experts that follow the team say they will draft one of these QB's with their first pick. Who knows, maybe they will do both since they have the money to spend. The Broncos are a long shot in this race and would have to do some pretty creative cap maneuvering and shedding of players. 

This just came out a few hours ago on who the ESPN insiders think the Vikings will select. Only one vote for Cousins with a slight advantage to Teddy. Not one mention of Bradford. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22580...nings-cuts  

Quote: @TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
His heart said what he thought was the right thing, but his head and Agent will ultimately prevail, as they should.

Unlike Bradford, Kirk wasn't drafted Number #1 in an era where there was no Rookie Salary Cap. This may be his only opportunity to sign a big contract.

If it were me, not knowing how long I could play and knowing I will almost undoubtedly have quality of life issues after I retire, I'm going to follow the money. Which probably takes me to the Jets or Broncos.

If Kirk takes 5 million less to come to Minnesota, gets multiple concussions and has to retire early without taking the team all the way, will us fans still be grateful?

Nope. We'll be pissed he wasn't the missing piece. And we won't give a shit that he took less to be a Viking.

That is why the notion of taking less money at this point in his career just to play for a Winner is really a joke. Down the line, after banking a big contract or two ala Bradford is maybe when it starts to make sense to take less. But that time is not now for Cousins.
go to Minnesota for 63 million guaranteed or Cleveland/Jets for 75 guaranteed... you are still going to cleveland?  I know its hard for me to fathom the kind of money these guys are getting paid,  but I can drop a few zeros and put myself in that situation and I can say from experience that location goes a long way towards being happy in life and I think it would take a shit load more for me to be happy working for the browns or the jets than a 15% pay bump.
Cousins isn't going to Cleveland. They will draft a QB at Number 1 or number 4. They are not one player away from being a contender. It makes no sense for them and Cousins would never consider it. The Jets are the only real contender here if you strictly look at Cap Room. They are at $73 Million, Vikes are at $49 Million, and the Bronco's are at $26 Million. With a talented QB draft, both the Jets and Broncos are in perfect position to draft their future signal caller and not spend the money on Cousins. The Jets have certainly indicated their love affair with Cousins and say they are all in, but a lot of experts that follow the team say they will draft one of these QB's with their first pick. Who knows, maybe they will do both since they have the money to spend. The Broncos are a long shot in this race and would have to do some pretty creative cap maneuvering and shedding of players. 

This just came out a few hours ago on who the ESPN insiders think the Vikings will select. Only one vote for Cousins with a slight advantage to Teddy. Not one mention of Bradford. 

I never expected him to go to cleveland,  it was a scenario that fit the hypothetical as its a shitty team with plenty of cap space.

however in your scenario where you have the jets, cleveland, and the broncos all drafting their future QB,  why is the market for cousins reportedly going so high? (30 million)  is buffalo or AZ going to run the price up there that high?

@TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:

I never expected him to go to cleveland,  it was a scenario that fit the hypothetical as its a shitty team with plenty of cap space.

however in your scenario where you have the jets, cleveland, and the broncos all drafting their future QB,  why is the market for cousins reportedly going so high? (30 million)  is buffalo or AZ going to run the price up there that high?
You are exactly right which is why I mentioned it. The Jets have the money to do both. Outbid everyone that Cousins would be willing to play for and draft their future QB. I think they will take a hard run at Cousins when FA starts, and use the draft to fall back on if they are unsuccessful. The Jets want to be talked about again as being relevant, and a Cousins signing for them would create a huge amount of buzz in NYC. Fortunately for us, the depth of the QB position in the draft and where the QB needy teams are picking might help us keep his price at a more reasonable level. Many of us assumed their would be a bidding war for Cousins a couple of weeks ago, but with Arizona and Jacksonville out of the picture, I'm not so sure anymore. I think a Matthew Stafford deal in the $27 Million range is pretty realistic for Cousins. I think the predictions of $30 Million + are no longer valid with who is left to compete for his services knowing that Cleveland is not a factor in this. 

How would you feel if we drafted Lamaar Jackson as our next QB vs. signing one of our free agents? Lots of expert mocks have us selecting him with our first pick.  

Quote: @TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:

You are exactly right which is why I mentioned it. The Jets have the money to do both. Outbid everyone that Cousins would be willing to play for and draft their future QB. I think they will take a hard run at Cousins when FA starts, and use the draft to fall back on if they are unsuccessful. The Jets want to be talked about again as being relevant, and a Cousins signing for them would create a huge amount of buzz in NYC. Fortunately for us, the depth of the QB position in the draft and where the QB needy teams are picking might help us keep his price at a more reasonable level. Many of us assumed their would be a bidding war for Cousins a couple of weeks ago, but with Arizona and Jacksonville out of the picture, I'm not so sure anymore. I think a Matthew Stafford deal in the $27 Million range is pretty realistic for Cousins. I think the predictions of $30 Million + are no longer valid with who is left to compete for his services knowing that Cleveland is not a factor in this. 

How would you feel if we drafted Lamaar Jackson as our next QB vs. signing one of our free agents? Lots of expert mocks have us selecting him with our first pick.  
if we take a QB in the first... we better not be paying 25+ million for one right now IMO.   keep Teddy or Sam to mentor the kid, but not both.  from everything we have heard they are super high on Sloter,  while that doesnt preclude us from taking a QB, IMO if says we wont take one early.  it really makes no sense to have a project guy and then take a high round guy that will basically supplant that project guy.

as far as jackson specifically... i will have to defer to our college gurus and Purplemember if he is lurking around somewhere.  I only watched him myself about 3 times and was interested,  but not blown away.

@TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:

if we take a QB in the first... we better not be paying 25+ million for one right now IMO.   keep Teddy or Sam to mentor the kid, but not both.  from everything we have heard they are super high on Sloter,  while that doesnt preclude us from taking a QB, IMO if says we wont take one early.  it really makes no sense to have a project guy and then take a high round guy that will basically supplant that project guy.

as far as jackson specifically... i will have to defer to our college gurus and Purplemember if he is lurking around somewhere.  I only watched him myself about 3 times and was interested,  but not blown away.
Great runner instincts, and lively arm to make every throw but his deep ball accuracy is pretty bad. He's got such a slight build that I think he will need to dramatically change his style of play to stay on the field in NFL which diminishes his effectiveness. 

Cam Newton was, is and will always be a more accurate passer than LJ. Mark it down.

I'll spill what I've been thinking for weeks. 
Lamar Jackson goes in the first ten picks, very possibly ahead of Josh Allen.
I could see Denver at 5.
His ability to create mismatches translates well to the NFL, and he is poised in the pocket. Enough to be a DeShaun Watson 2.0?
Maybe.  Biggest offensive threat in the entire draft, IMHO.  Barkley is amazing too, but way less snaps go to him than the qb.
I know its temping to pass LJ off as hyped, but his skillset is pretty solid even without the 4.3 speed.
No qb has moved like this guy since Vick.

Quote: @kahsmick said:
I'll spill what I've been thinking for weeks. 
Lamar Jackson goes in the first ten picks, very possibly ahead of Josh Allen.
I could see Denver at 5.
His ability to create mismatches translates well to the NFL, and he is poised in the pocket. Enough to be a DeShaun Watson 2.0?
Maybe.  Biggest offensive threat in the entire draft, IMHO.  Barkley is amazing too, but way less snaps go to him than the qb.
I know its temping to pass LJ off as hyped, but his skillset is pretty solid even without the 4.3 speed.
No qb has moved like this guy since Vick.
I don't think Jackson is going in the top 10 picks....or the top 30.

$63mm or $75mm....At some point it doesn't matter that your childrens, childrens, children will have $4mm to live on instead of $6.2mm. These guys are also playing for a shot at a ring as reward for the probable quality of life issues they'll have by 55.  I'm really not sure if Cousins is the missing piece or not. 

I do know I am not comfortable going into next season banking on Bridgewater or Bradford. Way too many question marks with the both of em.