Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Sharrif Floyd still on the roster?
A theory from Charley Walters...

Pssst: It’s looking more and more like there’s some sensitive legal stuff going on between the Vikings and defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd, who the team decided not to release even though he was eligible to be cut Monday.Floyd, who hasn’t played since knee surgery nearly two seasons ago, and his $6.7 million contract this year are adversely affecting the Vikings’ salary cap, which currently is $49 million. Floyd’s people aren’t talking, and the Vikings plead ignorance.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/17/ch...-mccarron/

Not sure what it could be.  He was suppose to be paid 6.7 mil for his 5th year.

According to the CBA (page 143) the team was not obligated to pay him while on the NFI list but since he was in his 5th year his contract would toll.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Section 3.
Nonfootball Injury:
(a) A player who is placed on a Nonfootball Injury or Illness list (“N-F/I”) will not be entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list but, except as provided below, his contract will continue to run while in such status.

(b) A player on N-F/I who is in the final year of his contract (including an option year) will have his contract tolled. However, if the player is physically able to perform his football services on or before the sixth regular season game, the club must pay the player his negotiated Paragraph 5 Salary (pro rata) for the balance of the season in order to toll such player’s contract. If such player is taken off N-F/I during the period when such action is allowed by League rules, his contract will not be tolled.

If the Vikings did not pay Floyd anything last year then maybe his agent wants them to pay him?

Maybe part of the money the Vikings are carrying over from last year is the 6.7 mil they did not pay Floyd.

Since the Vikings did NOT release Floyd before the beginning of the league year last year maybe his agent believes that they cannot drop him now before the 5th year becomes guaranteed.

But I thought it was already guaranteed because he suffered the injury during the season in his 4th year and this injury prevented him from playing in his 5th season.

Seems to me that the Vikings were obligated to pay Floyd if they have not already.

I'm sure Guru probably knows more.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:

According to the CBA (page 143) the team was not obligated to pay him while on the NFI list but since he was in his 5th year his contract would toll.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Section 3.
Nonfootball Injury:
(a) A player who is placed on a Nonfootball Injury or Illness list (“N-F/I”) will not be entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list but, except as provided below, his contract will continue to run while in such status.

(b) A player on N-F/I who is in the final year of his contract (including an option year) will have his contract tolled. However, if the player is physically able to perform his football services on or before the sixth regular season game, the club must pay the player his negotiated Paragraph 5 Salary (pro rata) for the balance of the season in order to toll such player’s contract. If such player is taken off N-F/I during the period when such action is allowed by League rules, his contract will not be tolled.

If the Vikings did not pay Floyd anything last year then maybe his agent wants them to pay him?

Maybe part of the money the Vikings are carrying over from last year is the 6.7 mil they did not pay Floyd.

Since the Vikings did NOT release Floyd before the beginning of the league year last year maybe his agent believes that they cannot drop him now before the 5th year becomes guaranteed.

But I thought it was already guaranteed because he suffered the injury during the season in his 4th year and this injury prevented him from playing in his 5th season.

Seems to me that the Vikings were obligated to pay Floyd if they have not already.

You're on the right track. I am pretty sure the Vikings ended up paying Floyd around $3.5M last season. The CBA mandates minimum salaries you're required to pay players on NFI but its often a negotiation between team and player. At this point Floyd's circumstances are a bit different since you can't outright release him without an injury settlement. If its anything similar to past players who had their contracts tolled, the Vikings will need to wait and receive confirmation from the league that his contract tolled before they can settle and release him. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Section 3.
Nonfootball Injury:

You're on the right track. I am pretty sure the Vikings ended up paying Floyd around $3.5M last season. The CBA mandates minimum salaries you're required to pay players on NFI but its often a negotiation between team and player. At this point Floyd's circumstances are a bit different since you can't outright release him without an injury settlement. If its anything similar to past players who had their contracts tolled, the Vikings will need to wait and receive confirmation from the league that his contract tolled before they can settle and release him. 
OK.  Thanks.

Does his 6.7 mil salary still count against the cap for 2018?

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Section 3.
Nonfootball Injury:

OK.  Thanks.

Does his 6.7 mil salary still count against the cap for 2018?
Yes, after the contract tolls. But ultimately the Vikings won't need to drop it timing wise since they won't be making all of their signings all at once. As long as they move on from the contract at some point this off-season it should lead to the same end result. 

is he done for certain?  I know he was running with Teddy in camp-don't know how well or if that means much.  I think the assumption is he won't be back but it sounded like he made some progress at one point just wondering if there has been anything more definitive said recently.  

Sounds like the legal issue with Floyd surrounds the NFI designation the Vikings gave him. When you're on NFI you don't receive full pay and is a knee surgery really a "non-football injury"? Technically yes, but you wouldn't be having the surgery if it weren't for football.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Sounds like the legal issue with Floyd surrounds the NFI designation the Vikings gave him. When you're on NFI you don't receive full pay and is a knee surgery really a "non-football injury"? Technically yes, but you wouldn't be having the surgery if it weren't for football.
perhaps there is more to the injury?  did he tweak something away from football that only gave up in the game?  I have a hard time believing that the team that has payed players on the IR the last few years their full salaries before parting ways would do Floyd like this unless there was more to it.

As I understand it, the real issue is that the surgery itself caused the issue, which is the very definition of a grey area.  While the surgery was due to football, the complication from the surgery was not.