Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Vikings coordinator John DeFilippo has his eye on another Super Bowl
John DeFilippo just won a Super Bowl with Philadelphia. Now, he’s talking about getting one for Minnesota.
The Vikings named DeFilippo offensive coordinator Friday, five days after he served as the Eagles’ quarterbacks coach during their 41-33 victory over New England in Super Bowl LII at U.S. Bank Stadium. General manager Rick Spielman and head coach Mike Zimmer interviewed DeFilippo on Thursday in Philadelphia after the Eagles’ victory parade, and they reached an agreement on a two-year contract.
“We couldn’t be more thrilled to be part of what we know we want to experience, what we just experienced in Philadelphia, which is bringing a world championship home to the state of Minnesota,” DeFilippo said Friday, including his wife Kari.
DeFilippo, whose contract expired after two seasons with the Eagles, interviewed last month for head coaching positions with Arizona and Chicago, and he said several teams he wouldn’t name wanted him as a coordinator.
“When the Minnesota Vikings want to talk to you, that’s a whole different ball game,” DeFilippo said. “It was obviously a special opportunity to work for Coach Zimmer and learn from him and work for another great head coach and another opportunity for myself to call plays.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/09/vi...uper-bowl/

Spielman has said the new coordinator will play a major role in choosing the team’s quarterback of the future. Minnesota’s top three quarterbacks — Case Keenum, Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater — are all headed for free agency.
“Whatever they ask me to do in terms of researching the players that we’re going to research, I’m going to leave no stone unturned,” said DeFilippo, who helped in the draft process with Wentz and with Derek Carr, a Raiders rookie in 2014 when DeFilippo was their quarterbacks coach.
DeFilippo is close to Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano and knows running back Latavius Murray, both of whom were with Oakland for the final two seasons of his 2012-14 stint as Raiders quarterbacks coach. After being an Oakland assistant, Sparano was the Raiders’ interim head coach for the final 12 games of 2014.
DeFilippo also was Oakland’s quarterbacks coach from 2007-08. During his two stints there, he earned the respect of Raiders radio analyst Tom Flores, a two-time Super Bowl-winning coach.
“I liked everything about him,” Flores said. “I liked his personality, his approach. He was a very positive guy with a lot of energy. He’s going with a good team in Minnesota, and he’s got a pretty good situation.”

As long as Zim is HC, we will be the garden spot destination for OC talent...No question...