Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why in the hell do especially the NFL gift a shot hole a super bowl
Quote: @Jamie Demaree said:
Both the catches were catches.  But the hit IMO was hitting a defense less receiver and should have been a penalty but only because it was helmet to helmet.  In a case like that the defensive player could have easily lead with a shoulder.
He wasn' a receiver at that point, he was a runner.

If we can't clearly define what a catch is and keep the calling of instant replay determinations extremely consistent, I can't really bash on CC for his questioning the calls.  Each of those catches have overturned plays go the other way over the past few years.  Only personal opinion separates them from being catches or non-catches.  Ball moves a little, it's 50/50 on whether it will be determined a catch.  Ball comes out with contact with the ground, 50/50 if it's a catch.  The Jesse James non-TD/non-catch is the play that it's going to be compared to recently or the TO non-catch (diving towards the end zone) a few years back, Magatron's non-TD catch would be another one.  When is total control of the ball established?  When is a player determined to be a "runner" is still a matter of opinion.  Hell if I know the answer half the time, to be honest.  I had no problem with the violence of the hit.  This is big boy football after all.  There is no way we are going to stop all helmet to helmet contact plays and I don't want them to try to.  If it gets to that point, we might as well just play flag football.           

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@Jamie Demaree said:
Both the catches were catches.  But the hit IMO was hitting a defense less receiver and should have been a penalty but only because it was helmet to helmet.  In a case like that the defensive player could have easily lead with a shoulder.
He wasn' a receiver at that point, he was a runner.
You are right after re watching it, he was a runner not a defenseless receiver.  That does not excuse the helmet to helmet hit though.  Jenkins could have easily hit lower and avoided the helmet to helmet hit.  It actually looks like he lined him up for the hit.  In the regular season that is a penalty and a fine for helmet to helmet.