Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pat Shurmur Named NFL Assistant Coach of the Year by PFWA
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Pat-Shurmur-Named-NFL-Assistant-Coach-of-the-Year-by-PFWA/3dc836ce-afe0-417b-883b-eee72660f8c7

Pat Shurmur Named NFL Assistant Coach of the Year by PFWA

Vikings Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur has been named the 2017 NFL Assistant Coach of the Year by the Professional Football Writers of America (PFWA). 
PWFA voters recognized Shurmur’s role in leading significant improvements on offense and announced his selection Thursday.

Full article at link

Very deserving recognition for Pat.

I already miss him. I assume the Vikings will promote from within for the OC position.  I hope whoever it is has been taking notes all year.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I already miss him. I assume the Vikings will promote from within for the OC position.  I hope whoever it is has been taking notes all year.
I wouldnt assume anything,  but my hope is that he leaves our coaches alone when he leaves.  its one thing to lose the cook,  it really sucks when they take everything in the kitchen with them.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
I wouldnt assume anything,  but my hope is that he leaves our coaches alone when he leaves.  its one thing to lose the cook,  it really sucks when they take everything in the kitchen with them.
I assume this for 2 reasons: (1) Zimmer was an assistant coach for a very long time. I am sure he knows how demoralizing it is when a job opens up and the team says we have nobody on staff to fill this position. We must look outside. And (2), a lot of coaching jobs have already been filled. By the time Pat leaves we may not have a lot to choose from.
The best way to keep your coaches when positions come open is to let them know we try to promote from within.

Quote: @dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
I assume this for 2 reasons: (1) Zimmer was an assistant coach for a very long time. I am sure he knows how demoralizing it is when a job opens up and the team says we have nobody on staff to fill this position. We must look outside. And (2), a lot of coaching jobs have already been filled. By the time Pat leaves we may not have a lot to choose from.
The best way to keep your coaches when positions come open is to let them know we try to promote from within.
who in house would you give it to?  IMO the only real name that comes up is Stefanski,  but he has been with the team for so long I dont know how he would be for play calling.  I dont think play calling is just something you pick up and do,  maybe I am wrong but I dont know who in house would be a good replacement.   I dont think I want to see Sparano doing it,  who else?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
who in house would you give it to?  IMO the only real name that comes up is Stefanski,  but he has been with the team for so long I dont know how he would be for play calling.  I dont think play calling is just something you pick up and do,  maybe I am wrong but I dont know who in house would be a good replacement.   I dont think I want to see Sparano doing it,  who else?
Stefanski is the one who comes to mind but I have no idea if he is right for the position. But the prospect of losing Shurmur cannot come as news for the Vikings.

Well deserved   it's  nice to see  the Viking players and coaches  getting  awards but  still 2 Hames till the prize to go