Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case is now the future
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
and they force the run to eat clock.  Zim loves his team,  but he doesnt seem to trust them all that much.  I understand running the ball to keep the clock running,  but you know what is even better... keeping the ball on offense so the opposition cant score.  I have been frustrated all year by how quickly the Vikings O (playcalling or lack of audible) will stick their head in the sand and try to run with 8+ defenders in the box.  make the opponents pay for overloading the run.  Hell if we saw a team with their Dime defense in and only having 4 or 5 defenders in the box... wouldn't you audible to a run and take advantage of the weakness.. of course,  so why dont Shurmur and Keenum pass on run overloads?  I think our run avg would be much better if it werent for the obvious runs that are easily stuffed.  I really like what Shurmur has done this year,  but the head scratching runs are kinda frustrating.
1) conventional wisdom
2) 13-3
3) Trip to NFCCG
4) If they pass on an overloaded box and don't complete and stop the clock the second guessing would be even worse and the likelihood of something bad happening on a pass in that situation is significantly higher. 

well that conventional wisdom was one miraculous catch and missed tackle away from seeing the team 1 and done in the playoffs after a 13-3 season. 

I understand all the thoughts that go into it,  but 3 and out doesnt chew the clock either.  and how is a pass against single coverage or wide zones significantly riskier than one against tighter coverage with defenders backed out of the box?  we have seen several times this year where conventional wisdom has bit the team in the ass and they have a hard time stopping the forfeited momentum gained by opposing teams stuffing our O at key moments.  running into a stacked box repeatedly in the 3rd quarter IMO is akin to taking a knee in 99,  it may be conventional thinking... but it doesnt always make it right.
3 and out running the ball chews the clock more than 3 and out throwing the ball. And forces them to use time outs. The blocked punt did more to put this game in danger than any other thing about the game. That was nearly the back breaker. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:

3 and out running the ball chews the clock more than 3 and out throwing the ball. And forces them to use time outs. The blocked punt did more to put this game in danger than any other thing about the game. That was nearly the back breaker. 
Agreed.  We had time to overcome Case's mistake.

Gotta agree with AGforever. Sam cashed in with the last Number #1 overall contract before the Rookie Salary Cap. He cashed in again in FA.

What possible motivation would he have to take a backup QB contract? He's already rich. And why risk the knee if he got forced into action? 

He's eithr going to be healthy enough to want bank and a Starting gig or he's going to retire, IMO.

Aside from how heated it can get when talking Case, Treadwell, etc., which I think is a bit of a symptom of how excited/nervous we all are for Sunday, isn't it great to have the luxury of arguing about QBs and WRs when it wasn't that long ago that the team had squat at both positions? 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
and they force the run to eat clock.  Zim loves his team,  but he doesnt seem to trust them all that much.  I understand running the ball to keep the clock running,  but you know what is even better... keeping the ball on offense so the opposition cant score.  I have been frustrated all year by how quickly the Vikings O (playcalling or lack of audible) will stick their head in the sand and try to run with 8+ defenders in the box.  make the opponents pay for overloading the run.  Hell if we saw a team with their Dime defense in and only having 4 or 5 defenders in the box... wouldn't you audible to a run and take advantage of the weakness.. of course,  so why dont Shurmur and Keenum pass on run overloads?  I think our run avg would be much better if it werent for the obvious runs that are easily stuffed.  I really like what Shurmur has done this year,  but the head scratching runs are kinda frustrating.
1) conventional wisdom
2) 13-3
3) Trip to NFCCG
4) If they pass on an overloaded box and don't complete and stop the clock the second guessing would be even worse and the likelihood of something bad happening on a pass in that situation is significantly higher. 

well that conventional wisdom was one miraculous catch and missed tackle away from seeing the team 1 and done in the playoffs after a 13-3 season. 

I understand all the thoughts that go into it,  but 3 and out doesnt chew the clock either.  and how is a pass against single coverage or wide zones significantly riskier than one against tighter coverage with defenders backed out of the box?  we have seen several times this year where conventional wisdom has bit the team in the ass and they have a hard time stopping the forfeited momentum gained by opposing teams stuffing our O at key moments.  running into a stacked box repeatedly in the 3rd quarter IMO is akin to taking a knee in 99,  it may be conventional thinking... but it doesnt always make it right.
Well we should be able to assume a passing game that hits for over 70% at times would be able to take advantage of single coverage with 2 of the best young hands guys in the game.  They don't have to pass all the time,  but this notion that basically burning first and second down and being forced to throw on 3rd and long is a good idea for controlling the clock is absurd.  Crawling into an offensive shell in the name of clock management is a losers mentality.  Make the defense respect the pass and run when they clear the box.  At least until you are comfortably ahead which imo is 3 scores in the 4th against good teams.  The Vikes should have never let up on the Saints as early as they did.  If we trust Case to start they should trust him to put the game away.