Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Sign Of Things To Come? Transition Tag For Cousins In 18'
Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins
According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, two NFL general managers believe a team will place a "HUGE" roster bonus into an offer sheet for Kirk Cousins in 2018 if the Redskins slap him with the transition tag next year.

Cousins is not expected to sign a long-term deal by Monday's deadline for franchise players to do so, and the belief is the Skins may tag him in some manner again next offseason. A third consecutive franchise tag would cost $34.5 million, but a transition tag would be cheaper and, of course, less binding. If Cousins is transition tagged in 2018, interested teams would be able to make him contract offers that severely restrict Washington's ability to match with huge early-deal roster bonuses. The 49ers are a team capable of constructing such a deal. San Francisco has a ton of cap space, a huge quarterback need, and Kyle Shanahan's connection to Cousins.

Related: 49ers

We're a couple years away from this situation...but what if we find ourselves in a similar situation after tagging Bradford in consecutive years...or maybe we aren't willing to go with a franchise tag after 2017 in the event a long term deal can't be reached... so many factors between Teddy's health, the 18 QB class, Bradford's performance...

The Redskins have admitted that they screwed this hole situation up and they should have just given Cousins a better offer in the beginning.  If the Vikings try and play cute games with the QB contracts, I'll be pissed.  Look how long we had to wait to get a quality QB on the team.  Look how many QB's we've gone through over the last 20 years!  Make a choice, get him signed!!!!!  No f'n games!!!

Ditto AllBS - Redskins are NOT a model any team should follow.

I can see where some people might think we have more justification for not committing to Bradford - at least, if they believe in Teddy. But the supposedly-awesome 2018 QB draft is definitely NOT anything to plan for, unless we're already talking about total rebuild. Ugh.

I thought they should have signed Bradford to an extension this spring, but I have accepted that the team wants to make him "prove it" once more. That still might bite them, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. But if they can't shit or get off the pot next offseason, they will deserve to fall into a quagmire.

I can see them putting the franchise tag on him in 18 if he has a worthy 17. I think they would then try to work out a long term deal. To me so much depends on Teddy's progress. Either way I think Sam is going to make a lot of money again after this year.

I just struggle to see how we could ever get to the point where Bradford got 2 franchise tags and was looking at a transition tag.  Either Bradford earns a big contract or not.  He hasn't yet, but assuming Bridgewater PUPs this year and his contract tolls and you franchise Bradford for 2018, you'll know which one your going with by end of 2018 for sure.