Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto repair question...
I've got a car question.  
My son has a ’95 Mazda with a V6 and 5 speed manual transmission and
he’s trying to repair the clutch.  The last
time I repaired a bad clutch was in my ’55 Chevy with a three on the tree.  This one apparently has hydraulic cylinders,
which he has replaced but he can’t get it to bleed.  He said he even tried back-bleeding but he
can’t seem to get enough pressure.  Any
suggestions would be met with gratitude and written praise!

Thanks but been there done that.

I'm so lame I wouldn't even pop the hood (If that isn't how you get to a clutch to repair it, then that shows just how little I know about working on cars

Quote: @Clanzomaelan said:
I'm so lame I wouldn't even pop the hood (If that isn't how you get to a clutch to repair it, then that shows just how little I know about working on cars
Same. When I was a kid I used to do all the repairs on my cars. Wire about a dozen subs, amps and various car audio eq too. Now I don't even change the oil. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Clanzomaelan said:
Same. When I was a kid I used to do all the repairs on my cars. Wire about a dozen subs, amps and various car audio eq too. Now I don't even change the oil. 
When I was a kid, my Dad tried to get me into working on cars. One time I was sitting around spinning a ratchet by the socket, and the ratchet came loose, spun off and hit my dad's car. It chipped the paint, and I thought my Dad was going to explode!

Another time, he woke me up at 6am, and said, "You're changing the oil..." The gave me a socket set, and told me to loosen a bolt. The bolt wouldn't budge, so I did what any dumb boy would do, and I kicked the ratchet. Well, I kicked so hard that I sheared off the bolt head completely! Again... Father explosion of rage... Then he sat me down (after he's kinda calmed down, and told me that I was no longer allowed to work on cars.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Clanzomaelan said:
When I was a kid, my Dad tried to get me into working on cars. One time I was sitting around spinning a ratchet by the socket, and the ratchet came loose, spun off and hit my dad's car. It chipped the paint, and I thought my Dad was going to explode!

Another time, he woke me up at 6am, and said, "You're changing the oil..." He gave me a socket set, and told me to loosen a bolt. The bolt wouldn't budge, so I did what any dumb boy would do, and I kicked the ratchet. Well, I kicked so hard that I sheared off the bolt head completely! Again... Father explosion of rage... Then he sat me down (after he's kinda calmed down, and told me that I was no longer allowed to work on cars.

Make sure brake fluid is full first of all. Secondly crack the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder and let it sit for like 5 mins. then slowly step on the clutch pedal and depress to the floor while a second person is watching the bleeder. once you get the pedal to the floor hold it there and have the other tighten the bleeder screw. If you are getting no bubbles or air movement noise when doing this with the bleeder open I would completely disconnect the slave and see if fluid is coming out. If it is you may have a bad slave cylinder or fluid supply problem. Hope this helps

Quote: @quattrovike said:
Make sure brake fluid is full first of all. Secondly crack the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder and let it sit for like 5 mins. then slowly step on the clutch pedal and depress to the floor while a second person is watching the bleeder. once you get the pedal to the floor hold it there and have the other tighten the bleeder screw. If you are getting no bubbles or air movement noise when doing this with the bleeder open I would completely disconnect the slave and see if fluid is coming out. If it is you may have a bad slave cylinder or fluid supply problem. Hope this helps
Thanks!  I just sent this to him so we'll see.  I don't expect him to get to this until tomorrow afternoon.