Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamar Jackson
I know there are some Louisville honks on here who follow the program closely and had some opinions of Bridgewater a few years ago. Just curious what the general opinions are on Jackson? I found it interesting some of the things I have heard on him from being a mid round pick who might have to play WR at the next level. McShay has him as his #7 QB prospect for the upcoming draft. I think he is a really intriguing prospect who is probably the best athlete to play the position since Michael Vick. He has improved every year in the passing game and has the arm to make NFL throws. Deadly running the football and getting outside the pocket. 

Just my opinion, but I think he goes much higher than projected right now by some of the "experts" and will be in that late 1st round mix. I think it would be very interesting if he is sitting on the board when the Vikings pick in the 1st round. 

3 Ints today, all his fault. Throws from his toes a lot which leads to sailing too many passes. That can be fixed.

Also threw a pick to end their chances that looked like he had made his decision pre-snap and threw it to a kid who was completely covered.

Now it may be that the CB simply diagnosed and ran the route better than his target, but man that was a dumb throw.

But again, that has the possibility of being coached out of him. Arms plenty strong enough, have also seen him make touch throws. And the legs are defender Vick-level lethal.

Can he read Defenses and go through progressions? Haven't seen him do enough of that to warrant anything higher than a late 3rd Round Pick.

I wouldn't touch him before round 5. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
3 Ints today, all his fault. Throws from his toes a lot which leads to sailing too many passes. That can be fixed.

Also threw a pick to end their chances that looked like he had made his decision pre-snap and threw it to a kid who was completely covered.

Now it may be that the CB simply diagnosed and ran the route better than his target, but man that was a dumb throw.

But again, that has the possibility of being coached out of him. Arms plenty strong enough, have also seen him make touch throws. And the legs are defender Vick-level lethal.

Can he read Defenses and go through progressions? Haven't seen him do enough of that to warrant anything higher than a late 3rd Round Pick.
Admittedly I didn't see his first INT, but one (while a little high) went right through the hands of the WR and the last one appeared to be a great play by the CB. I'm also not sure that his WR didn't pull up on the route. Also worth noting Jackson threw a dart between two defenders in the end zone that was dropped and they had to settle for a field goal. 

The physical package he offers is going to be very tempting, it really boils down to like you stated....where he is at mentally with reads and diagnosing defenses. Based on how overall progression at the college level, I'm going to say he is farther along than most may think.

Dang, put yourself in his shoes for a minute and wonder if you declare for the draft or not now...

Aaaand put yourself in his shoes right before the game...

Hard to imagine going from feeling like you are unquestionably about to take the next step and then playing like that, and having to decide if another year is a better idea now...

This dude's star has fallen in a big way since last year. IMO, he's not a NFL style QB.