Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings must be wary as nastiest team in NFL comes to town...
Best to keep your head on a swivel when Bengals come to town
A lousy Cincinnati Bengals team will face one of the NFL's best success stories. Which means that one or two cheap shots from a cheap team could ruin the Vikings' season.
The NFL is a thresher of humans. Sunday, when the nastiest team in a nasty league visits U.S. Bank Stadium, “survive and advance” will adopt new meaning.
In recent weeks, the Normalized Felony League has featured one of its greatest players, Rob Gronkowski, smashing a prone opponent in the head well after the whistle, causing a concussion.
And Houston quarterback Tom Savage taking a blow to the head, twitching in what appeared to be convulsions, then returning to the field.
And a Washington Post report about former star running back Larry Johnson, who says he believes he is suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and feels suicidal.
And a game between the Bengals and Steelers that offered everything but bloody folding chairs.
And the continued winnowing of stars, as Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz was lost for the season, joining a list of injured players almost as impressive as the list of healthy ones.
http://www.startribune.com/best-to-keep-...464298063/

Wednesday, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis should keep his job. “He should be able to stay there as long as he wants,’’ Zimmer said.
Even if you want to overlook Lewis’ inability to win one playoff game in 15 years in Cincinnati, Zimmer would be wrong.
Lewis runs the dirtiest team in the NFL. Earlier this month, Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster blindsided Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict with a helmet-to-helmet hit, then stood over Burfict.
That was wrong, yet karmic. Burfict has been leveling cheap shots at opponents for years.
Which is why brutal and cheap hits damage the game, as well as brains, spines and joints. Those who believe in exchanging an eye for an eye will soon be blind.
The Bengals’ ruthlessness makes this one of the most concerning games on the Vikings’ schedule. The Vikings should win, but will they be able to avoid the kind of injury that could damage their chances in the playoffs?
Sunday, the Vikings can do themselves a favor by keeping their heads on a swivel, and they can do the NFL a favor by moving Lewis one game closer to unemployment.

I know Burfict is known as a "cheap shot artist", but I find it telling that the author couldn't give a single example as to why the shot that Juju took at Vontaze was justified. He says "That was wrong", but by calling it "karmic" in the same sentence, it implies that it was okay.

I dont think the bengals are any cheaper than the steelers, ravens or any other team that has focused their team on being very physical.  I think being a physical team will inherently lead to some hits that are deemed unnecessary and labeled cheap because of poor timing or other factors that lead to unintended contact.  

there is a big difference between unfortunate and intended contact,  I think a lot of the unfortunate stuff gets sold as intended in order to sell a label and the shittier teams usually dont get the benefit of the doubt.  When I watch the Steeler and Bengal matchups I see plenty of questionable shit both ways, but its usually the bengals players that get labeled as cheap while the steelers infractions are ignored.  ( very much like the packers players vs the bears or other teams that havent had the success the packer have had)

Quote: @Max said:
I know Burfict is known as a "cheap shot artist", but I find it telling that the author couldn't give a single example as to why the shot that Juju took at Vontaze was justified. He says "That was wrong", but by calling it "karmic" in the same sentence, it implies that it was okay.
Karma doesn't imply it was okay.  It implies he had it coming in a cosmic retribution sort of way.  Like if Rodgers were to choke on his purple crush and end up with a collapsed lung.

Quote: @greediron said:
@Max said:
Karma doesn't imply it was okay.  It implies he had it coming in a cosmic retribution sort of way.  Like if Rodgers were to choke on his purple crush and end up with a collapsed lung.
I guess, to me, “had it coming” means that it was justified because it suggests a cosmic balance or justice. Regardless, it is a silly concept. Belief in karma implies that the people that Burfict supoosedly cheap-shotted had it coming, too. 

I hear ya---earlier this year I was watching a new England game and collinsworth was commenting on how their center plays to the echo of the whistle.  While he's slobbering on the guy the play develops and sure enough he's to the second level with no one to block so he peels back and waits for  his shot---just as a dlineman disengages the OT he cuts him from off to the side while going low.  Legal but cheap as hell going into a guys knees for no reason.  reminded me of Denver for years 

Karma would be Burfict concussing himself while trying to take a cheap shot at someone else.  Juju was just an example of assholery being contagious.

Quote: @Scoog said:
Karma would be Burfict concussing himself while trying to take a cheap shot at someone else.  Juju was just an example of assholery being contagious.
The cheap shot war between the Steelers and Bengals have been going on for so long I bet nobody even remembers who fired the first shot.  That rivalry seems to epitomize what is ugly in the game.  I am sure there are others but this feud seems to ring the loudest when it think of thug football.