Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many mistakes...
Zimmer told his players Monday they were fortunate Sunday’s shaky performance didn’t happen during a playoff game.“In the playoffs, we don’t want to be talking about losing or the reasons why we lost,’’ said running back Latavius Murray. “We don’t want to be having that discussion at that point, so I think that’s what he meant by that.’’
Zimmer said the Vikings (10-3) “made a lot of mistakes’’ in having their eight-game winning streak broken. They had three turnovers. They dropped passes. They had two faskmask penalties. They were ineffective in the red zone while Carolina was effective.
The defense gave up a 60-yard touchdown run by Jonathan Stewart in the first quarter and a 62-yard run by quarterback Cam Newton that led to Stewart’s winning 1-yard run with 1:47 left in the fourth quarter.
“We just didn’t play like ourselves,’’ said defensive end Everson Griffen. “It was a lot of uncharacteristic things. … We beat ourselves.’’
Griffen said the mistakes were “little things we can fix.’’ Zimmer agreed, saying, “It is a good time to refocus.’’
http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/11/vik...messed-up/

It's hard not to worry a bit, because some past Vikings teams have fallen apart after a winning streak ended. I think this team will use the loss to improve their game.

Defensive slipups cost this game. I know the OL was a problem and passes were dropped, but in spite of that, the offense lived up to its end of Zimmer's bargain: score 21 points or more. IMO the team was a little road-weary and met a team that needed the win to survive and they let some big plays get through.

Big picture: we're 10-3 and should finish at least 12-4 with one of the top 2 seeds in the conference. Winning the remaining 3 is very possible and could make us the #1 seed, if Philadelphia is a little more beatable now.

I agree Jor.  The offnse could have done better but in the end the defense didnt do what they need to do. 
For me it camr down to two big plays.  Losing containment on McNabb and the long run play.

We cant see the rest of the field but i was surprised that no one was back on the run play. Stewart was in the open after 10 yards.  Playcalling or player error it was a huge play and shouldnt have happened.

Quote:   @Poiple said:
I agree Jor.  The offnse could have done better but in the end the defense didnt do what they need to do. 
For me it camr down to two big plays.  Losing containment on McNabb and the long run play.

We cant see the rest of the field but i was surprised that no one was back on the run play. Stewart was in the open after 10 yards.  Playcalling or player error it was a huge play and shouldnt have happened.

Isn't McNabb being investigated at NFL network... Wink

Quote: @Jor-El said:
It's hard not to worry a bit, because some past Vikings teams have fallen apart after a winning streak ended. I think this team will use the loss to improve their game.

Defensive slipups cost this game. I know the OL was a problem and passes were dropped, but in spite of that, the offense lived up to its end of Zimmer's bargain: score 21 points or more. IMO the team was a little road-weary and met a team that needed the win to survive and they let some big plays get through.

Big picture: we're 10-3 and should finish at least 12-4 with one of the top 2 seeds in the conference. Winning the remaining 3 is very possible and could make us the #1 seed, if Philadelphia is a little more beatable now.
Completely agreed. 

Every Super Bowl winner over the last decade has had a late season, WTF game. Some had more than one (2012 Ravens)

smash Cincy into the ground, put up 35 and get this train rolling again for another 6 game winning streak

Quote: @Canthony said:
   @Poiple said:

Isn't McNabb being investigated at NFL network... Wink
hehehehee.  geeeez what was I thinking? lol.   

Sunday's game will tell us a lot about this team. If they throttle the Bengals, or at least play as close to "mistake-free" as possible, it will be a very good sign.

Sendejo. That's the main reason. Completely misplayed the RPO that Newton nearly housed. Not sure where he was on the Stewart run either.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Sendejo. That's the main reason. Completely misplayed the RPO that Newton nearly housed. Not sure where he was on the Stewart run either.
Sadly he was the "culprit" on the Stewart run as well.  But it may have been by gameplan.  He followed Cam after the handoff to Stewart and got sucked up to the line.  Cam draws necessary attention, but the uninformed fan view was that he was out of position and once Stewart got through the first line (because our DLine got washed) he was gone.  The uniformed fan (me) view may or may not be correct, but that is why there was no safety filling that hole.

On Cam's big run, Barr was held and he could have likely ended that as a modest gain.  But Sendejo 1-1 with Cam is not a good matchup.