Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eye Candy...
We went to one of our local art framing businesses over the weekend to get a Beatles Poster of my wifes framed. This guy does a lot of the Vikings official framing work.

Yes, they have official framing work to be done as you could imagine...Big bids going out for the Eagan facility right now for art, jerseys etc..

So I walk in there and see a signed, framed Barr Jersey, Smith Jersey and a framed tix from very first and last games ever @ Metrodome (1982 Vikes vs Seattle/2014 Vikes vs Detroit) along with a bunch of other cool stuff.

Fun times...Nope, not of it for sale to me. 

I was at that very 1st Vikings game at Metrodome in 1982 and (no air-conditioning for a pre-season game btw) and vs Detroit in 2014. I saved my tix from that last game, now I'm on a mission to find a Vikings vs Seahawks tix from 82...Going to frame em up too, I thought its a cool idea.

That is pretty cool PF.

unreal that there was no AC in the dome. The baseball was horrible comfort wise... product wise... meh.

To work at a place like that would be ultra cool. Honestly I think it'd be neat to get an interview with a guy like that talking about the official framework he's done. It'd be a unique viewpoint to hear from for sure. I'd love to see some of that memorabilia on display.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
That is pretty cool PF.

unreal that there was no AC in the dome. The baseball was horrible comfort wise... product wise... meh.
It came in under budget. They were so cheap, so skimpy in spending to build it, it had no AC to begin with.

Rationale was since it was under street level, it would stay cool. Even in August.HistoryBy the early 1970s, the Minnesota Vikings were unhappy with Metropolitan Stadium's relatively small capacity for football (just under 48,500). Before the AFL-NFL merger, the NFL had declared that stadiums with a capacity smaller than 50,000 were not adequate for their needs. The biggest stadium in the area was the University of Minnesota's Memorial Stadium, but the Vikings were not willing to be tenants in a college football stadium and demanded a new venue. Supporters of a dome also believed that the Minnesota Twins would benefit from a climate-controlled stadium to insulate the team from harsh Minnesota weather later in the season. The Met would have likely needed to be replaced in any event, as it was not well maintained. Broken railings and seats could be seen in the upper deck by the early 1970s, and by its final season they had become a distinct safety hazard.
Construction success of other domed stadiums, particularly the Pontiac Silverdomenear Detroit, paved the way for voters to approve funding for a new stadium. Downtown Minneapolis was beginning a revitalization program, and the return of professional sports from suburban Bloomington was seen as a major success story. A professional team hadn't been based in downtown Minneapolis since the Minneapolis Lakers left for Los Angeles in 1960.
Construction on the Metrodome began on December 20, 1979, and was funded by a limited hotel-motel and liquor tax, local business donations, and payments established within a special tax district near the stadium site.[19] Uncovering the Dome by Amy Klobuchar (now a U.S. Senator) describes the 10-year effort to build the venue.[20] The stadium was named in memory of former mayor of Minneapolis, U.S. Senator, and U.S. Vice PresidentHubert Humphrey, who died in 1978.[21]
The Metrodome itself cost $68 million to build—significantly under budget—totaling around $124 million with infrastructure and other costs associated with the project added.[5] It was a somewhat utilitarian facility, though not quite as spartan as Metropolitan Stadium. One stadium official once said that all the Metrodome was designed to do was "get fans in, let 'em see a game, and let 'em go home."[22]
The Metrodome is the only venue to have hosted a MLB All-Star Game (1985), a Super Bowl (1992), an NCAA Final Four (1992 & 2001), and a World Series (1987 & 1991). The 1985 MLB All-Star Game, several games of the 1987 and the 1991 World SeriesSuper Bowl XXVI in 1992, and the 1998–99 NFC Championship all were held at the Metrodome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_H._..._Metrodome