Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: coaching my girls 10U Hockey Team and...
Allow me this indulgence and proud father moment...

Coaching my girls 10U Hockey Team and we got our first victory in our first game and my first game ever coaching. 

With :26 seconds left in the game our girls (Edina 10U) went up 2-1 over Minnetonka Black to beat a team that we never bested last year. 

We let the first goal in and our goalie broke down in tears. I had to coach her back to the net reminding her that there will be more goals scored against us this year and that we would score goals to back her up too. She didn't let in another goal the remainder of the game despite us being outshot by about 2-1. Each of our goals came from a rebound put in by a girl in position or by a pass from the corner to a girl in position..... Which as a coach is much more gratifying than watching a girl skate coast to coast and scoring. 

They executed the breakout of our own zone flawlessly again and again. Man I know it seems strange to get excited over a 10U girls hockey game... But wow that was soooo much fun. 

Is this thing on?

savor these moments.  coaching kids is something that you cant really explain other than it will be the most challenging thing you ever likely do at times,  but also the most rewarding thing.

Its a very cool feeling, coaching youth sports. 

That's awesome and not at all strange. Coaching your kids is exciting. It's a great way to bond. You spend extra time with them, that is priceless. But you learn right along with your kids. I love the proud parent moments. Way to go Edina 10U!

When I was 19, I coached my little brother's pony league baseball team. 13, 14 and 15 year olds. Did it for two years. Won the league both years. Haven't done it since. I was too close to my little brother. If I had to coach my son, I'd be an absolute wreck. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
When I was 19, I coached my little brother's pony league baseball team. 13, 14 and 15 year olds. Did it for two years. Won the league both years. Haven't done it since. I was too close to my little brother. If I had to coach my son, I'd be an absolute wreck. 
I remember coaching my sons pop warner league. (5th &6th grade)  as a coach I was allowed on the field during the play to help officiate.  My son caught a pass and was heading up the sideline with only a S to beat for a TD,  he slowed a step to try and juke the S and this kid who had to be about 2 years older and much much bigger than all the rest came flying in from behind and just killed my kid...  I wanted so bad as I was running up to the play to just level that other kid.  it wasnt an illegal hit,  but I was pretty positive that the kid didnt belong in the league from an age standpoint.... it was Tuds first concussion and all he said when he came to was... did I hang onto the ball.   ( I was so fricking proud)

Very cool bro!