Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charley Walters: Vikings’ QB situation remains a three-for-all
The way it looks now, the Vikings will let quarterbacks Case KeenumSam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater — each of whom can become a free agent after the season — go through the end of the season before deciding whether to offer contract extensions.
Despite the team’s 5-2 record entering Sunday’s game against hapless Cleveland (0-7) in London, the Vikings’ QB future remains unsettled. Keenum has been adequate in guiding the offense after Bradford’s sidelining knee injury.
A case can be made for an extension for Keenum, 29, who is paid $2 million this season, but he’s still viewed as a reliable backup who probably can’t get the Vikings through the playoffs.
The Vikings are expected to wait to see which of the QB trio is healthy, evaluate how he played and then try to re-sign him. Regardless, they will need to draft a QB in the first round next April.
The guess here is that Bradford, paid $18 million this season, won’t be re-signed. And Bridgewater’s knee makes him a conundrum. But it won’t be surprising, if by Thanksgiving, if either Bradford, 29, or Bridgewater, 24, is the starting quarterback.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/29/charley-walters-vikings-qb-situation-remains-a-three-for-all/

I disagree with the "need" to draft a QB in the FIRST round next draft.  If Teddy plays for the 2nd half and plays well with no set backs or side effects drafting a QB early becomes a bit questionable(barring a blue chipper falling)  I think they will be able to lock Teddy up next year for a reasonable contract with incentives/escalators etc and still be able to give Case a 1 or 2 year deal comparable to what he might get on the market as a "bridge" QB.  In that scenario drafting a QB at all gets doubtful if Sloter is still impressing them.

This is a game. No wait, it's a business. It is whatever you need it to be at any time. If I were the Vikings I would tell Teddy (assuming they want to keep him), we are tolling your contract but we are not going to screw you. So we will negotiate a new deal with you as if you were not under contract for another year. ... But they should not let him become a free agent if they intend to keep him because, at this time, it's a business.