Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Have Stiff Competition On Rebuilt OL

"The biggest question that would seem to be unanswered is whether Elflein will be an immediate starter and will push Berger outside to right guard to replace the spot held down for years by Brandon Fusco."

I'd say that Berger moving to RG is a foregone conclusion. The biggest question is who wins the starting center competition between Elflein and Easton. I do have to wonder, though, if Easton wins the center job, would they consider moving Elflein to RG, a position he's said he's more comfortable at?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
"The biggest question that would seem to be unanswered is whether Elflein will be an immediate starter and will push Berger outside to right guard to replace the spot held down for years by Brandon Fusco."

I'd say that Berger moving to RG is a foregone conclusion. The biggest question is who wins the starting center competition between Elflein and Easton. I do have to wonder, though, if Easton wins the center job, would they consider moving Elflein to RG, a position he's said he's more comfortable at?
Based on OTAs and mini camp, C is the only competition...all reports indicate it was a 50/50 split with the 1s...I'd say that seems like an early lead for Buddy The Elflein...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@MaroonBells said:

Based on OTAs and mini camp, C is the only competition...all reports indicate it was a 50/50 split with the 1s...I'd say that seems like an early lead for Buddy The Elflein...
The quote that really says something about this competition is this one from Zimmer: “They’re both doing good. Again, it’s going to come down to training camp and things like that. We may look at some other scenarios as well.”

To me, because Easton is probably a center-only, that sounds like they may consider "Buddy" at guard if Easton continues to hold off the rook. The way I see it, Elflein is a near can't-miss interior player. So if Easton beats him, he's got to be playing really well. And the better Easton is, the better our line is. It would also mean that our C and RG positions are set for years. 

Just hope it's not another competition of stiffs.  Be great if Isidora can develop into a starter by 2018.