Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Analysis: Dalvin Cook

When Cook runs out of the shotgun, he is fantastic at reading his blockers, maintaining balance/agility, and generating yards after contact. According to Pro Football Focus, Cook generated the second-most yards after contact in college football. 

Cook creates yards after contact and uses his natural football abilities to be a methodical runner. He even ran well behind an inconsistent offensive line and created plays because of his instinctive running style. It's what makes me less concerned about his "numbers" from workouts. Some players just play naturally and don't have the freak ability when they are tested during an individual workout. For me, it's not about how a guy tests in workouts, but how he performs when the pads come on.

SOD...I was convinced Ted Thompson was going to add him into the backfield with Rogers too. I like the kid GB picked, but they passed on BPA for need imo. Hope it bites em in the asz for years. 

I have to be honest in that I was not thrilled when we moved up to grab him.  Pre-draft 90% of the analyst thought Cook would be a mid first rounder and might slip to late first so our brass/Spelly obviously thought he was too good to pass on.  Was it the Eagles that we were trying to get ahead of that loved Cook??  I think that is what I remember.

I never really considered Cook pre draft.  I was hoping that we would pass on Mixon who almost everyone said would have been available at our pick which then Cinncy used on him.  So happy we didn't go after Mixon.  I think we wrote him off our board.  During the draft the ex-scout Dan Jeremiah said that he did not talk to one scout who would vouch for Mixon's character - I thought that was very telling.

No one really expressed too much of the same concern on Cook although he has an awful background as well.  

Of course, I am pulling for Cook now but I really thought if we moved up we would go after one of the falling OL - Cam Tackle or Lamp at Guard both fell but still went early in the second.

Now, this draft was not deep along the OL and especially Tackle so we must have agreed with that analysis to not pull the trigger on T/G until our 2nd 5th round pick (Isodora).

I really liked Dawkins from Temple.  He didn't go until the end of the second so he would have been there.  Then another guy I liked was Moton and he went the pick after Dawkins.  

Basically, my prognosis of what this team needed vs what Spelly thought and did, was way off.  I actually thought we were set at Center with Easton, so I was wrong with our second pick as well.  The only picks that I was right on during and predraft were Bucky Hodges and E. Lee and I knew both would be late round flyers.  Hodges fell further then I even thought into the 6th round.  I thought he could have gone in the 4th.

Anyway, hope I am wrong Smile