Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings/NFL Observations
I think one of the key storylines across the NFL is regarding how much of a young QBs busting is on the player and how much of it is the team.

With the Bears bringing in Williams who’s been struggling (very small sample size so far) and Fields who struggled with the Bears and is now serviceable with a good team. With Darnold struggling with the Jets and Panthers, and moving onto good teams with the 49ers/Vikings and having some success. We’ve seen all these young QBs struggling so far this year, with obviously more time to play out. Then you have Young struggling with the Panthers and Dalton coming in and balling out in the same system, which kind of gives the opposite interpretation.

Regardless, more than ever before, I’ve heard people talking about it and trying to sort out how much is on the player and how much is on the team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

(6 hours ago)medaille Wrote: I think one of the key storylines across the NFL is regarding how much of a young QBs busting is on the player and how much of it is the team.

With the Bears bringing in Williams who’s been struggling (very small sample size so far) and Fields who struggled with the Bears and is now serviceable with a good team.  With Darnold struggling with the Jets and Panthers, and moving onto good teams with the 49ers/Vikings and having some success.  We’ve seen all these young QBs struggling so far this year, with obviously more time to play out.  Then you have Young struggling with the Panthers and Dalton coming in and balling out in the same system, which kind of gives the opposite interpretation.

Regardless, more than ever before, I’ve heard people talking about it and trying to sort out how much is on the player and how much is on the team.

Well if they're not talking about it, they're fools. 

I said this summer that if Darnold played well with us, it would dramatically change how NFL teams approach scouting, drafting and developing QBs. But as you point out, it's more than just Darnold. It was Mayfield last year, and Fields, Caleb, Nix and Daniels this year. I think the Patriots are sitting in Boston relieved they didn't throw Maye into the fire week one. Who knows what damage the Bears, Broncos and Commies are doing. I also don't think the Young/Dalton thing argues against it, because even though Dalton did fine with the same surround, Young was just another example of a QB starting too early. 

To me, it's a three legged table: Requisite size and arm talent; thorough and patient development; and quality surround. It's rare that you can have all three, but I think that's what the Vikings were prepared to give McCarthy. 

Easier said than done, especially the surround, but I think NFL teams are going to try harder to provide that. Specifically, I think it means more offensive head coaches and more drafting QBs well before you need one.

(Today, 02:51 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: An excellent win yesterday, a dominating win. The Bank was unhinged.
  • Flo's D has everyone discombobulated and not sure where the heat is coming from. Its very obvious that Minnesota got some key chess pieces for Flo to play with and dominate.
  • The crowd noise at U.S. Bank is a difference maker. The opponents hear it and the Viking's players feed off of it.
  • Darnold makes one stupid play a game....I can live with that. He's mostly composed but you can still see a small propencity to get a smidge rattled a handful of times a game. Basically a nitpick.
  • I just marvel at Darnold's easy arm talent. His release is quick. Much faster and mobile than you'd think. He leaned out this offseason and I think its helped him on the field.
  • Who's having more fun as a Viking than Aaron Jones?
  • Damn Jalen Nailor.....go get it', son. 
  • Will Levis: yikes. I'm not sure how Tennessee isn't going to move off him this upcoming offseason.
  • Anthony Richardson? Media crowned him, but he looks bad. 
  • So with a capable vet, Carolina isn't a hot pile of dog shit on offense. Yeah, it was Bryce Young. 
  • Kansas City + the refs = unbeatable
  • Caleb Williams will make some amazing plays and make horrible ones. That's not going to change, IMO. 
  • How did the 49ers mess that game up so bad to lose?? Gross. 
  • The Saints might be the pretenders, not Minnesota.
  • DeShaun Watson: master scammer, garbage human and what a f-ing mess in Cleveland.
  • Its tough for Justin Herbert to stay healthy.

Sticky...I must say that those are very insightful observations across the gamut of Vikings to the NFL.  Nicely summarized.

I think the thing I’m seeing most glaringly is there is a LOT of bad football being played out there. Teams look really sloppy and unprepared.

I’m also seeing coaching very much matters in this league, and we have a REALLY good one.