Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dallas Turner learning The NFL
He should be an impact player for the Vikings after being selected with the No. 17 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

There’s a specific moment that stands out when thinking about rookie edge rusher Dallas Turner and his seemingly limitless potential. 

It came back in the spring with the Vikings steadily working their way through organized team activities.

Asked about the player the Vikings selected with the No. 17 pick in the 2024 draft, star left tackle Christian Darrisaw likened Turner’s explosiveness to that of former star edger rusher Danielle Hunter.

“He had a spin move last week that was quicker than Danielle,'” Darrisaw said with a laugh. “I was like, ‘Damn. This guy is going to be special.’ ”

Wait. Seriously?

“I swear it was quicker than Danielle,” Darrisaw said while nodding his head. “He put it on somebody and I was like, ‘Holy (expletive).'”

As staggering as that statement is on the surface, it was worth wondering if it would translate once the Vikings put the pads on. 

The time for that finally came on Monday afternoon at TCO Performance Center, and while Turner didn’t produce any viral moments, he certainly looked the part of an impact player.

“I woke up with a smile on my face knowing I get to put some pads on,” Turner said. “It was good to fly around and hit some people.”

It’s been awhile for Turner. He actually hadn’t put the pads on since the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1. That, of course, was when he and the Alabama Crimson Tide suffered a heartbreaking 27-20 loss to rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy and the Michigan Wolverines.

As excited as Turner was for the physicality to get ramped up, defensive coordinator Brian Flores was equally as excited to see how he responded to the change.

“Just feeling the length, the strength, the instincts, of NFL offensive linemen,” Flores said. “I think there’s a getting-used-to-that factor for every rookie. That’s no different for him. I think he’ll answer the bell, because that’s what he does.”

That proved to be the case as Turner showcased his explosiveness in individual drills and team drills.

“He wants it all,” Darrisaw said. “You can tell every day he’s coming out here giving it his all.”

The mutual respect between both players has been cool to see in real time. Asked last week about going up against Darrisaw on a daily basis, for example, Turner replied, “If I go against a guy like that in practice every day, I know the game is going to be easy.”

“I ain’t never seen a left tackle like that,” Turner added with another laugh. “I ain’t going to lie.”

It will be interesting to see how much Turner progresses throughout training camp. He’s already off to a great start, and maybe the most impressive thing about him is that he doesn’t seem satisfied in the slightest.

“The biggest thing I’ve learned so far about myself is that there’s a lot more work that needs to be done,” Turner said. 

“There’s a lot of room to improve before we get to that first game.”

https://www.twincities.com/2024/07/29/vi...n-my-face/

Christian Darrisaw, from his spot at tackle, embraces task of mentoring Vikings rookie Dallas Turner

Vikings left tackle Christian Darrisaw was sitting in a tub of ice after a recent practice when a reporter walked by and commented on the "Welcome to the NFL" education/domination he has been administering daily to edge rusher and rookie first-round draft pick Dallas Turner.

"Ah, man, he'll be all right," Darrisaw said as he looked up and smiled. "He's learning. He's got the talent. Anything I can do to help."

Not long after signing his big contract extension, Darrisaw has been helping both his quarterback and the rookie phenom whose success or failure in the NFL will be judged on how well he harasses NFL quarterbacks.

"As I talked about with CD in the hours after CD's extension, it's like, 'Hey man, not only can you elevate our entire offensive group, how cool is it going to be as you watch Dallas Turner one-on-one against you in practice grow to be a guy who pushes you to be better?' " said coach Kevin O'Connell.

Darrisaw has been patiently offering tips outside the lines that will help Turner learn the NFL game.

"You see CD pull him aside sometimes before practice, and he's showing him, 'Hey, you shot your hand too quick,' 'you probably started that move too far away from me,' 'I never really felt speed on the initial rush before you got into [your move],' " O'Connell said. "Those [tips] are coming from one of the best left tackles in football, and then DT gets a rep, he gets to feel it and obviously he gets coached up … and then right about that time his versatility kicks in and he switches spots and is doing different things."

https://www.startribune.com/christian-da...600387747/
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

That's a tough taskmaster to deal with and learn from in Darrisaw.

I like it.